Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Potentially fried board. How to confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    When you have something that is normal open or normally closed, that’s basically a latching switch. I would try replacing it with a real momentary switch and see what happens.
    What do you mean by a "real momentary switch"? I thought a momentary switch is defined as a switch which (if in normally open state) will close only while the switch is held down, or (if in normally open state) will open only while the switch is held down (hence the term "momentary", as it only activates/deactivates in the moment(s) you hold it down).

Likewise, it's my understanding that a latching switch (if in normally open state) stays closed when pressed, or (if in normally closed state) stays open when pressed (hence the term "latching", as you are closing or opening a "latch", thus toggling the state until pressed again).

EDIT: I desoldered the NO1 and C pins, and the result is unchanged, so it doesn't appear to be the switch, as even when I connect the wires directly, there is no apparent change in the board state.
    Last edited by TheMohawkNinja; 02-24-2019 at 03:46 PM.

Connect the wired directly to what? Each other? Try powering the board without those wires connected to anything, and then touch them together.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Connect the wired directly to what? Each other? Try powering the board without those wires connected to anything, and then touch them together.
    Yes, each other. I powered on the board and had those wires touch each other when they were only soldered on the board pads and nothing else. Touching the wires together did not appear to affect the board state at all.

In this picture you have your speaker wired to the battery input pads: https://i.imgur.com/5kMPFm8.jpg Putting the battery supply through the speaker pads is probably not good for the board.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 02-25-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    In this picture you have your speaker wired to the battery input pads: https://i.imgur.com/5kMPFm8.jpg Putting the battery supply through the speaker pads is probably not good for the board.
    I don't know how, but upon closer inspection, I have in-fact wired the board in reverse.

I have now corrected the issue, and upon pressing the activation switch, I get no sound, the switch LED turns off, and the blade LED turns on and quickly gets brighter before turning off again.

I think my mis-wiring maaaaay have caused a weeeee bit of damage now that you've pointed out my wiring flaw.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I kind of skimmed the info but just wanted to mention that momentary switches can be NO and NC.. you want a NO one for a NB.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I’ll have Zook get in touch with you. He handles board repairs here in the US.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Awesome, I wouldn't of even thought that would have been economically feasible.

So, have you talked to this "Zook" person yet by chance? I have yet to get a PM or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMohawkNinja View Post
    So, have you talked to this "Zook" person yet by chance? I have yet to get a PM or anything.
    I sent him a message. I’ll send him another one.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines