Thread: Verifying Vintage Graflex.

Default Verifying Vintage Graflex.

I recently purchased a piece that was claimed to be a Vintage Graflex 3 cell flash gun. The prior owner said that they had it in their personal collection for about 20 years. The piece has a few small scratches and appears to have pitting and rust on it. Can anyone who has worked on, or has a vintage piece, help me verify if I have the real thing or a well weathered replica?

clamp01.jpgears01.jpgears02.jpgpins01.jpgplug01.jpgpommel.jpg

Did you get this figured out? I'm curios.

Hey @BipolarShooter ! If you haven't already figured it out by now... it's a real GRAFLEX.

Except for pic No. 3 which is flip-flopped. Ya had me going for a second there, I was like "Wait a minute! That's not right."

For that second I imagined, "No wonder he's confused, somebody created a replica, that was spot on perfect aging and tells-wise, then totally screwed up and put the pointer light switch on the wrong side!" And then Occam's Razor kicked in, and it made sense that the image had simply been flip-flopped. Too funny!

If you haven't already converted it to a lightsaber, and if you plan to make it an ESB version, I would leave the Red-Button retainer in place. You just can't undo that modifiication. It makes my soul ache everytime I see someone with a vintage GRAFLEX where they've torn the "Beer Tab" off to make it "screen accurate". Same goes for a TFA version, DON'T grind your Glass Eye! Get a replica part for that mod! And may The Force forbid the fools who want a "screen accurate" TLJ or TROS version from grinding them in half! I think it's best to leave mods that require damaging a vintage GRAFLEX to make a "screen accurate" lightsaber to Graflex replicas. Roman's Props and The Graflex Shop's replicas will be more than satisfactory to that end.

Anywho, I don't mean to be preachy, that's just my thoughts. Back to happy times with newly found vintage GRAFLEXes...

Congratulations on your purchase! I hope it brings you great joy everytime you hold it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ridire Fíréan View Post
    I think it's best to leave mods that require damaging a vintage GRAFLEX to make a "screen accurate" lightsaber to Graflex replicas.
    Agreed! that would be like buying an actual Mauser pistol to chop up and turn into a DL44.

Quick story - was talking to a guy from Australia who was visiting the US. Before he went home he planned to buy a Desert Eagle handgun and have it deactivated / disabled so he could take it home.
    Those things run about $2000. I told him i had a catalog where you can order a non-functional replica for a third of that. Nope, he wanted to basically destroy a perfectly good gun because he had the money.
    It hurts my heart to think about it
    The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.