Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MPS Insert recharge port vs speaker mount

Board Lurker
    Board Lurker
    Board Lurker

Default MPS Insert recharge port vs speaker mount

Is it possible to use MPS Insert with recharge port...
    https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/B...le-6-P788.aspx

with a speaker mount that has a lip to lock it in place between the pommel and female section?
    https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/M...kers-P887.aspx

how do you pass the wires by the speaker?

Alternatively, how do you protect the speaker and secure the chassis when using a 3d printed design?

And not an elaborate 3d chassis either, just a regular one with plenty of room to pass the wires.

You can use one of the stock speaker holders if you cut or file out a channel for the wires.

If you are 3D printing a chassis, there aren't many limits to what you can do, so the question doesn't have a short answer. You can design it to be modular in a way that will screw, glue, or mate together in a stack, it could be two pieces that clamp together, it could be one single piece, or it could be a combination of any of those. You can also make custom parts to mix and match with more traditional chassis systems like the rod and discs offered here.

This chassis includes a speaker holder with an illuminated "crystal" on the other side of the speaker for a build I'll be sharing soon. It includes some pretty simple shapes and a bit of metal tubing. (it's actually cobbled together from scraps leftover from old projects, which is sort of the theme of this saber) The crystal and black parts are glued together, set screws hold the central core portion to either side, and you can see the screw holes in the metal part. The right side is the blade connector for a pixel blade.

I agree with Jbkuma, you can cut a groove on the outside of the speaker holder, or on the inside, to pass the wires around the speaker. Be careful about the amount of wire you have attached to your CP, and that there is enough room between your insert and the speaker to have the CP and wires in there. I typically cut the connectors on the CP shorter just to make sure. When I screw the pommel on I put a tool in the grate of the insert so it doesn't move as I spin the pommel. Or you could reverse spin the wires so when you tighten the pommel the wires "un-twist"...

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    You can use one of the stock speaker holders if you cut or file out a channel for the wires.

If you are 3D printing a chassis, there aren't many limits to what you can do, so the question doesn't have a short answer. You can design it to be modular in a way that will screw, glue, or mate together in a stack, it could be two pieces that clamp together, it could be one single piece, or it could be a combination of any of those. You can also make custom parts to mix and match with more traditional chassis systems like the rod and discs offered here.

This chassis includes a speaker holder with an illuminated "crystal" on the other side of the speaker for a build I'll be sharing soon. It includes some pretty simple shapes and a bit of metal tubing. (it's actually cobbled together from scraps leftover from old projects, which is sort of the theme of this saber) The crystal and black parts are glued together, set screws hold the central core portion to either side, and you can see the screw holes in the metal part. The right side is the blade connector for a pixel blade.
    love this chassis btw....

Board Lurker
    Board Lurker
    Board Lurker

I noticed the pommel insert is the only thing that will rotate so I didn't really worry about it so long as I planned on the pommel being the break point.

I want to use JST connectors and make everything come apart nicely but I struggle without all the parts in hand.

Try not to use JSTs in the pommel, it may affect your sound quality. If you use a pair of pliers or something to hold the insert stable while twisting the pommel onto the hilt.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Try not to use JSTs in the pommel, it may affect your sound quality.
    Hey @Forgetful Jedi Knight ! Can you elaborate on why not? Is it because of the physical properties of the electricity passing through the JST connector produces poorer sound than a hardwired speaker or because the body of the JST might obstruct airflow/sound waves?

Quote Originally Posted by Ridire Fíréan View Post
    Hey @Forgetful Jedi Knight ! Can you elaborate on why not? Is it because of the physical properties of the electricity passing through the JST connector produces poorer sound than a hardwired speaker or because the body of the JST might obstruct airflow/sound waves?
    I think it is the latter..in addition the JST connectors have angular edges and if they bounce around in there they could damage your speaker. Also they might get lose because of vibration.....

Here is a design for the pommel cap to be retained with the chassis.

Board Lurker
    Board Lurker
    Board Lurker

thanks for the ideas guys
    here is what we came up with today
    copper tubing to secure the chassis and protect the speaker
    hiltbreakout.jpg