Thread: When to use Tri Cree and when to use single

Default When to use Tri Cree and when to use single

What is the advantage of using the 3 LED modules versus the single LED. For instance if I want a green blade, what would be the advantages of either the Green XP-2 or the green green white Tri Cree?

I'm assuming flash on clash? If I don't plan to change colors, what is my better option?

More LEDs will be brighter, but 2 LEDs won't seem twice as bright, and the third will have less of a bump than the second.

Depending on what board you are using will determine the best way to get the color clash you want. green green white will give you a nice white flash and a brighter normal blade. If your board will mix the colors for your flash you could use red + green for a yellow flash, or blue + green for cyan, and of course red+blue+green will be approximately white.

Will there be much difference in run time between a single or tri cree LEDs?

Also, what colors are easiest to see in day and still look 'bright"?

Yes, there can be a significant difference in run time depending on if you use one or two dice.

Green is probably the brightest color to the eye overall.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darmok View Post
    Will there be much difference in run time between a single or tri cree LEDs?

Also, what colors are easiest to see in day and still look 'bright"?
    If you use an NB or a Prizm (both 3.7v), you'll have to wire the two greens in parallel, so you'll have less run time. If you use a CF (7.4v), you can wire them in series, so you won't notice a difference in run time even though it would be just as bright.

As far as brightest, green, like FJK said. If you want bright during the day and you also like green, your best bet is to get a photon blade and a blue blue white tri cree. Both blues on will activate the flourescent dye in the photo blade to give you the brightest green that I know how to get without going with Neopixel.

You will always use approximately twice more power for 2 than 1. For a 7.4v battery, the more efficient the driver the greater the difference will be. If you are running two LEDs in parallel on a 3.7v battery, it will be exactly twice what one would have been, plus the power for the board.