Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Explain Neo Pixel strip to me please

Default Explain Neo Pixel strip to me please

I'm planning a build, and think I want to use the Neo Pixel blade strips for lighting the blade. But, I don't fully understand how they work. I understand if I get a tri-cree for light that there are 3 LED's. With the Neo Pixel there are roughly 100.

Do I understand that:
    1.each LED unit on the strip has red green and blue in it?
    2. each 'unit' of 3 LED's is addressable and can be different colors?
    3. Colors are controlled by the sound board?
    (how do you set the colors?)
    Will any board work for the Neo Pixel blades? For example, with the Nano Biscotte V4 work?
    Do the Neo Pixel Blades 'need' or take advantage of better more advanced sound boards?

I guess this is a start to understanding what I need to buy. Thanks in advance for the help.

1. Yes. Some have a fourth white die but we don’t use those.
    2. Yes, infinite rgb
    3. Yes. Right now Plecter NBv4, Prism 5, and CFLS. NEC boards. Proffie/Teensy. Some other lesser known ls too, support neopixel.
    4. (Unasked question) Yes, Neopixel blades are boss.

Thanks.
    How do you control colors? Do you simply cycle through until you get what you want?

Control is through soundboard settings, each is different but you essentially change the r,g,b values and save that as a preset.

Excellent.
    So a Neopixel blade is everycolor, or any color you want to program.

Going with the Neopixals, are there any other differences on the electronics of the build?

Yes, the wiring required is a bit different. Also not all boards currently support Neopixel setups, and you’ll also need specific high amperage draw cells (commonly known as 10A or 15A batteries). Also, runtimes will be considerably shorter than traditional setups.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

But the NBv4 will work?

Concerning batteries, will going to a 7.4v help or hurt?

Yes NBv4 will work. Battery is soundboard dependent, nbv4 only uses a 3.7v. So get one of the 10a 3.7 18650 from the shop.

I was thinking of running a couple of 3.7v in parallel to extend the life span. Good idea or no?

Quote Originally Posted by mr fixit View Post
    I was thinking of running a couple of 3.7v in parallel to extend the life span. Good idea or no?
    Well, it’s possible if you have a super long, or super thick hilt. Practically, plan for removable batteries and have several handy.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com