Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Explain Neo Pixel strip to me please

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Well, it’s possible if you have a super long, or super thick hilt. Practically, plan for removable batteries and have several handy.
    Would you advise against this then? Would it be better with a different combo of sound and LED's?

It all depends on your “priorities”. If you want long runtime in between charges, Neopixel won’t be your best option. If you want super bright, then yeah Neopixel would be good, but you do sacrifice your runtime. What do you value most?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

It all depends on your “priorities”. If you want long runtime in between charges, Neopixel won’t be your best option. If you want super bright, then yeah Neopixel would be good, but you do sacrifice your runtime. What do you value most?
    Aside from the pleasure of simply owning a saber I suppose my first priority would be the hilt. I have a plan for a nice custom hilt with a backstory in the SW universe. Second, sound and a blade plug that can be turned on to 'show off' the saber. (I know it is easier with a tri-cree, but can be done with some sort of additional LED's for the Neopixel) And third, no saber is complete without a blade. I want a blade that I can show off occasionally and can take some pretty serious dueling.

I don't have plans to take my saber to any shows or cons. I doubt it would ever be used anywhere but around my house. I have no doubt it will be used with my sons for dueling at least once, since even grown sons will feel the need to try out the old man.

By priorities, I mean things like Brightness v. Runtime / Cost v. “All the bells and whistles”. A hilt and blade are pretty much requisites
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

By priorities, I mean things like Brightness v. Runtime / Cost v. “All the bells and whistles”. A hilt and blade are pretty much requisites
    at this point I may not be able to answer that. I don't know what bells and whistles are available

I want the blade bright enough to be seen in the daytime. I'm not concerned with having the brightest if that helps. I have no idea what runtimes are possible. Can it run for 30 minutes? Is that too much?

As I think I said elsewhere in the thread, the runtime using Neopixel will be around 20-40 minutes depending on what color you’re discussing. A single color (Red, Blue, Green) will have longer run times (30-40 minutes) , mixed colors (Purple, Yellow, Cyan, etc) will be less (25-35), and White (or close to it) will be about 15-20 minutes.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

For your first build, you might want to stick to in-hilts. Unless you're going to buy your neopixel blade already built, they can be a bit complex for beginners. They are bright, but there is quite a bit of work that goes into them. In-hilt LEDs are still bright. Not even neopixels will show that well outdoors in full sunlight. These things aren't real plasma yet, so outdoors in the sunshine during the day the blades still get washed out by the sun. Now, indoors, both in-hilts and neopixels are bright. Neopixels can be a bit brighter, but neopixel blades are kind of complex to get them to look proper. They also eat batteries. The wiring in the saber is actually simpler for neopixels, but then building the blade becomes complex.

Again, for your first build, the instant gratification of a tre-cree that works when you wire it up might be the way to go to introduce yourself to saber building. If you want to get into neopixels eventually, once you build your saber with in-hilt LED. Buy some blade materials and a prism board, and mess around.

You can wire up the prism on your bench to your blade materials and test it out. Prism is the best board for testing diffusion in your blades because you can switch between colors quickly to see the blade in all the range of colors. Plus, then you know you built your blade right. Then, once you like your blade, and are happy with it, you can re-install your first saber that you had running with in-hilt tri-crees with the neopixel adapters.....or buy another hilt and build it for your blade.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."