Thread: Faint Sound On Startup Before Boot sound on CF v9

Default Faint Sound On Startup Before Boot sound on CF v9

Hey everyone,
    After wiring two nano biscotti cards and having them work, I moved on to the CF V9 card. I wired everything as shown in the manual. When I pulled the kill key, I get this faint oscillating sound then the boot sound. Everything functions just fine, I can load sound banks, I get response to movements, so the card appears to be fine. This may just be a quirk of the card, but the NB cards didn't do this so I just wanted to check if this was normal or not. The sound reminds me of what a very small electric motor sounds like when it's turning. Lasts about 0.5 seconds. Thanks!

David

Does this occur on all sound banks? Just asking to make sure it's not the boot sound that is being used.

Probably more helpful discussion: are you using the SD card that came with the soundboard? I was having problems with mine and Erv (the guy who makes them) said that he'd had issues with slower SD cards so I tried one of the gray and red Samsung SD cards and it worked like a champ. Not sure if you're issue is related to the speed at which the CF is reading stuff from the SD.

It's a sound that happens before the actual boot sound. Even if I have it on and change sounds, as soon as it's ready to play the boot sound it first does this strange faint sound. Everything else is working fine (except I can't seem to get the RICE editor to link but I'm troubleshooting that), so I guess I'll play this off as a quirk of the card. Thanks for the suggestion. I may try that in the future if I feel like I need to.

Ok, another question: did you remember to reformat the SD card before moving all of the sounds over to it?

Yes, I saw the note to reformat. I reformatted each time when I went from my custom setup to the default setup and back. It just seems to be a quirk about this card. I should have my second CF9 card up and going tomorrow, so we'll see how that one sounds. Thanks for the help.

I'd still try a faster SD card to see what happens.

Haven't gotten around to trying a different SD card. It's very possible this is the right answer however it's working fine so I'm probably going to leave it for now. Thanks for the help.