Thread: Nano V4 missing component

Default Nano V4 missing component

So... does anybody have a clue what this component is for? It looks like it might be some kind of resistor for the top pad on the left?

nano.jpg

I noticed that the one on my board is missing (solder is there, component isn't) - may have never been there, I may have broken it off trying to squeeze the chip into my chassis.

Everything seems to work correctly, but I could probably replace it if I knew what it was.

Got my answer from Erv at Plecter labs (very quick response) - its a capacitor for the sound module.

Easy enough to fix, and much less expensive than buying a new board (or having this one shipped out and fixed).

Rob Petkau (Madcow) has a nice demo on soldering tiny components like this.....

Quote Originally Posted by k6gad View Post
    I watched the one Rob has for the wiring, and he mentions another one for soldering components on the board, but I haven't been able to find it.

I was able to get the capacitor (got 10 of them, they were only $.20 each), and got it soldered on.

I'm not sure the piece has anything to do with the sound though - the board sounds no different to me (and sounds great). But... I think it has something to do with the built in power extender because I get a much better FOC now. Before I could barely see the white flash, but now I can really see the flash.

It was definitely much less expensive, and faster, than replacing or sending the board out to be fixed.
    Last edited by LarryJ; 11-26-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Do you know where this video is located? I looked at his youtube channel and didn't see it.

Remember: Your focus determines your reality. - Qui Gon Jinn

The capacitor shouldn't have anything to do with the FoC as you described, or the sound chip. It is a decoupling capacitor on the input of a 3.3v regulator. It's possible that smoothing the input to the regulator stabilized the output and made everything function a bit more smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by welshm85 View Post
    Do you know where this video is located? I looked at his youtube channel and didn't see it.
    Try this link.... It is not exactly the same component as your resistor but it illustrates the technique of attaching very small items to your board.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDtqnRpz0HI

Try this link.... It is not exactly the same component as your resistor but it illustrates the technique of attaching very small items to your board.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDtqnRpz0HI
    Thanks!

Remember: Your focus determines your reality. - Qui Gon Jinn