Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Neopixel Flash on clash control

Question Neopixel Flash on clash control

As pixel blades make each LED addressable, is there a way to make the flash only do so in the middle of the blade, where most clashes occur? I've always felt it's a weakness to the look that the blade changes colors. It makes it less real, not more. But, an LED strip blade could flash bright yellow in the middle, while the ends stay the chosen blade color. This would look more like in the films. Do any soundboards make this possible in their config files etc? Anybody got a saber that does this to show off?

It's relatively simple to make the flash only happen in a smaller range of pixels, getting it to correlate to the point of impact is another story.

Thank you. In general, I would be aiming the blade to strike toward the middle. I expect that setting the flash to be brief, bright and in the middle third to be close to what I'm looking for. I'm wanting to confirm the config files on the board I go for to work for this before I buy. If I buy from VV, and they didn't build it that way, for example, I'd be disappointed at great expense, if I can't reset customized. If I wait for NB4 to come back in stock, and it doesn't control pixels except the scroll, I'd be disappointed again. I'm not seeing any examples of this ability. I see some simple scroll timers. I see some sabers with 'flame' set-ups etc. But not necessarily FOC with pixel specific options.

You will need to either build your own, or purchase an open source saber board that can be programmed and customized. When I say it is relatively simple, I mean compared to the physical detection of the location of the clash. If you are already familiar with programming these types of boards (typically arduino) then the visual effect shouldn't be very difficult to program.

The Teensy/Proffie saber board has localized clash functionality.

Here's an example from the style builder:

https://fredrik.hubbe.net/lightsaber...+300%2C+800%3E

By default, the localized clash happens in the middle 1/2 of the blade, but randomized within that section. The clash itself can be a single colour or an effect, built by combining styles and colours.

Here's another example that combines white and red in a random flicker effect for clashes, lockups, drags and blasts. In addition, a simple audio-based flicker is added to the main blade colour so the blade flickers in time to the hum.

https://fredrik.hubbe.net/lightsaber...800%2CBlack%3E

I was about to suggest getting a proffie board. Probably your best option.

Thanks, everyone, for the guidance. I may have to come back more, as it seems I really will have to try making this myself. I was really hoping others had this idea and made their boards with it in mind.

The beauty of the open source projects is that you can make them do exactly what you want. I personally have had ideas regarding this, but having the clash in one spot our a random spot doesn't really appeal to me, so I haven't put it in to FX-SaberOS.

Im not wild about the effect either, since it’s not currently possible to line up the clash with the impact zone. An addition, the full blade flash is more dramatic and looks better in person. The localized clashes can wash out due to the overall brightness of the blade.

Yes to both JBKuma's Mad Scientist and SA2CC. I have no idea why the localized clash got pushed to implementation. There are a lot of better ideas out there.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."