Thread: which sound card to get

Default which sound card to get

Planning for a build and need to decide which sound card to get. I'm not as concerned about the sounds as I am about the lighting. Here are 2 lists, one of what I must have, and one of what I want.

Must haves:
    1. sounds for swings, start up, shut down, clash, hum
    2. led control for blade on, FOC
    3. accent led for hilt

wants in addition to must haves:
    1. I would like to be able to make the blade color pulse slowly say from red to blue, or kinda red to kinda blue, could even do other colors
    2. would be nice to be able to add led in hilt for crystal chamber type set up

Is there a card that will do all that?

It depends on what type of lighting you are going to use (Neopixel v. Tri-Cree).

If Neopixel, Prizms can do all of the above except your wish list #1 - which isn’t a features offered on any standard sound cards.
    If Tri-Cree, Prizm or Crystal Focus would be your options.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    It depends on what type of lighting you are going to use (Neopixel v. Tri-Cree).

If Neopixel, Prizms can do all of the above except your wish list #1 - which isn’t a features offered on any standard sound cards.
    If Tri-Cree, Prizm or Crystal Focus would be your options.
    So pulsing colors is out no matter what.

Out of curiosity what will the NBv4 not do on my list?

You can’t continuously pulse from one color to another. You can switch from one to another on certain cards, but it doesn’t gradually change from blue to red or anything like that.

The NB doesn’t easily allow for crystal chamber LEDs, and only has one accent LED support, but it’s on all the time.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    You can’t continuously pulse from one color to another. You can switch from one to another on certain cards, but it doesn’t gradually change from blue to red or anything like that.

The NB doesn’t easily allow for crystal chamber LEDs, and only has one accent LED support, but it’s on all the time.
    Can I build the saber so that the accent led is the crystal chamber with the NB?
    I realize that would leave no accent led's on the hilt.

If you wore everything in parallel, you should be able to.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines