Thread: Tri Cree XP2 stunt build

Default Tri Cree XP2 stunt build

So I'm rewiring a piece of cosplay history- a saber I originally built back in 2009. I originally wired the thing with a Seoul P4 LED, which is pretty lame by today's standards. I used a regular latching switch, a 6 wire buck puck, and a 4 AA battery holder.

I think I'm going to re-use that buck puck, for sure, but almost everything else will be new. I've got a Tri Cree XP2 LED (amber, amber, white), a red latching AV switch, and a resistor (the resistor which shows up on the page with the latching AV switches)
    Now I've got a few questions- first of all, can I use that original battery holder and run a Tri Cree XP2 on 4 AA batteries? Or do I really need L-ion batteries, and if so, what kind?
    Second, how do I wire that AV switch up for a stunt build?
    And last, what's the best way to wire the LED for stunt use? I want to wire all three dies for maximum brightness.

I eventually want to do a neopixel, but figured that I should cut my teeth on something simple first, and refurbishing a stunt seems to be a good starting place.

4 AA batteries don’t have the output to run a setup like that, you’ll need a Li-ion setup. A 3.7V battery should be fine, if you wire everything in parallel. For a stunt build, I don’t know why you’d have a white involved, it’ll just lighten up the ambers.

The switch part should be put into a line between the battery and before the (-) splits to sever the LEDs. The Red LED, one can go with the (-)’s and the other the (+) wire.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com