Thread: Latching switch conundrum

Default Latching switch conundrum

Greetings all. I've got something weird happening and hoping someone can shed some light. First, set up:

Stunt saber:
    Tri cree: red orange x3, only using two of the LED'S, resistored.
    Latching switch: non AV, two pole labeled + and -
    Recharge port: one positive terminal, two ground terminals.
    18650 battery
    JST connectors

Please see my drawing for connections. Sorry for it not being more clean, need to find a good program/app for drawing those out.

Here is what happens: with the switch out and kill key in, no light as expected. With kill key out and switch out, light comes on. Press the switch in, light goes off. Press the switch again to release, the LED doesn't come back on. With the switch still out, if I reinsert the kill key and then take the kill key out, light comes back on.

It's driving me nuts, because if switch out allows current to flow, and pressing the switch cuts said current, shouldn't releasing the switch (switch out) cause current to flow again?

I also recognize that the switch behavior isn't nomal, i.e. shouldn't pressing the switch in cause current to flow rather than the opposite?

IMG_20181025_114544.jpg
    Last edited by Schwizzle; 10-25-2018 at 10:26 AM.

That's an odd switch. It sounds like you've got a NC (Normally Closed) switch, but it should come back on after the switch is pressed a second time.

Do you have a photo of the switch, and your wiring?
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    That's an odd switch. It sounds like you've got a NC (Normally Closed) switch, but it should come back on after the switch is pressed a second time.

Do you have a photo of the switch, and your wiring?
    Thanks for the reply. I will get some pics later tonight, will try to manage late afternoon if possible. Here is a link to the switch in the meantime: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Switches should never be attached to pos and neg..all that creates is a short circuit. They attach inline on either the positive OR negative.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I see. I should have asked this beforehand as I have heard that before, but this switch actually has terminals labeled + and -. Why label them positive and negative? (also, not asking intending to be argumentative, genuinely curious).

My only idea on that is that they use the same base for a LED switch or something.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Thank you again, I will try rewiring later tonight. I never left the LED on for too long and nothing was getting hot, so I hope I haven't damaged anything. Only time will tell I suppose. In the case of a short circuit, would the LED be damaged first, or should I be concerned about the 18650?

I would be more concerned with the battery but it has protection built in so you should be fine.. rewire it and you should be good to go.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop