Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: what to use to get the best purple blade

Quote Originally Posted by Barmic Rin
    Damn yanks, stealing our town names.....
    STICK TO MADE UP NAMES LIKE DELAWARE!!!!!

lol "If it ain't broke, modify it!" doesn’t just apply to cars.

It's all about ingenuity not originality.
    Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...

Quote Originally Posted by Barmic Rin
    Damn yanks, stealing our town names.....
    STICK TO MADE UP NAMES LIKE DELAWARE!!!!!
    I find it incredibly ironic that you would say that, since Delaware was named after an englishman, Thomas West, Baron De La Warr. A made up name indeed, stupid brit.

Now about your idea for a differently colored blade core, it might actually be possible with a dual tube design. I remember a while back someone suggested poking a hole in the center of a lee filter on a white LED to make the inner tube appear brighter. As Loreen mentioned, though, the inner tube would blend with the outer tube. That is why white cored blade are impossible. However, a different color on the inner tube can be achieved by doing the exact opposite. If you started with an LED of a primary color, either yellow red or blue, and then filtered only the inner tube in a secondary color, you would achieve this effect. For a yellow outer blade you could have a core colored either orange or green. For a blue outer blade you could have a core of either purple or green. For a red blade you could have a core of either purple or orange. Yellow would work best as red and blue are far richer colors and would be more likely to drown out the color of the inner core. Of course this may make your core appear too dark. Another option that might produce a brighter result would be to create multicolored filters for a white LED. Again, the outer color would have the be either red, yellow or blue, but with this setup the inner color could be another primary color. The colors will blend somewhat, but it should be apparent that the core is different than the outer tube.

Ah, time to edit myself...
    The first of these two ideas won't really work very well, and it won't work at all if either your LED or your filter are perfect primary colors. However, most LEDs and filters still transmit all three primary colors, just in drastically different quantities. A good way to demonstrate this for yourself is to try filtering a red LED with a purple or pink filter. You should notice that the color and brightness are almost entirely unaffected. If you tried filtering a red LED with a blue filter, however, you'll notice that the brightness takes a sudden nosedive. That is because purple and pink filters allow all red light to pass through, but blue ought to block out all red light. The fact that it doesn't block it all, however, proves that either the LED isn't generating pure red light, or the filter isn't blocking out all red light. Ugh... boring science lesson...
    To make a long story short, if you want a dual colored blade you need to start with a white LED, you need a filter that is composed of two different colors, and you need a dual tube blade design.

Whoa, whoa whoa!!!! Render man, i'm just kidding!!!!! That's why I put the emoticons at the end!!! I didn't mean to offend. Hell, some of the guys on here have called us Brits 'Limeys' & we just shrug it off.
    Chill fella!

As for your ideas, they seem kinda cool to try.
    "Of course this may make your core appear too dark."
    If anyone has the KOTOR mod i'm thinking of, then some of the cores are kinda dark but the light trails are still very cool when you swing them.
    I guess it's just a case of mix & matching till you get a result you're happy with!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

You didn't offend, I was kidding back. Guess I should have used a few emoticons myself to make my intent more clear. Cheers!

As for the idea, I'd love to see someone try it. I don't have a dual tube blade or I would give it a go myself. I've been trying to think of the best way to make a two colored filter, and all I can come up with is using gel filters for stage lighting. Cut a doughnut out of your first color, a doughnut hole out of your second color, and sandwich them both between two sheets of lamination. I'm looking around right now for a company that sells the sample packs of gels for lighting designers. I'll post again when I find something cheap.

Found it! Here's a pack of gels for only 3 dollars.
    http://www.shop.com/op/~ROSCO_ROSCOL...-prod-25904141
    You can actually get them for free from another website, but I doubt the company would be amused if a hundred jedi pretending to be light engineers suddenly ordered free product swatches. Now for those of you who might criticize me for mentioning these gels when Tim sells filters on the store's website, understand that these are different. Tim's Lee filters are hard plastic disks, which makes them much easier to carry around. I honestly wouldn't want to carry around a gel filter because it could get crushed and wrinkled pretty easily. Tim's Lees are also ready to go right out of the bag, while these gel filters would have to be cut to size. The only reason I am posting these at all is that you can't cut the lee filters with a craft knife, and for this particular saber experiment you would pretty much have to.

Well, the guys at LEE's don't seem to mind all these saber-welding 'light engineers' hogging all their swatches!

I'm sure Tim isn't offended, he set up these forums for people to discuss constructing sabers their own way, sharing ideas etc. Just so long as they buy some of the parts from him.

Definitely post pics if you get one up & running!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

If you are lucky and get the "right" royal blue bin... it will look very much like purple.

The one royal blue that I've wired up thus far is very purple. It happens to be in a TCSS emitter + Mace Body and pommel FX setup. It's nice.

Another thing you could TRY is finding some perfect mixture of a blue or red LED + find a way to color/buy your diffuser with the EXACT pigment to alter the color to just what you want.

I think it would look silly, but that's one way if you're THAT picky.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide