Thread: Fett263's Graflex neopixel w/ backup battery and dual ignition switch (Proffieboard)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fett263's Graflex neopixel w/ backup battery and dual ignition switch (Proffieboard)

Starting my second build (first build with a Proffieboard). As posted separately, I am going to be using two 18650 batteries in this set up with a switch to toggle between. I'm using Goth's padawan chassis and while rough fitting I realized there is plenty of room to put a second battery in the "neck" of the saber, I'll be wiring it up like so to allow for easy switching between the primary and secondary battery to essentially double the run time between charging. Since I'm doing neopixels and can't easily replace batteries this was my solution.

The switch will toggle which battery is running or charging and keep them separate from each other since each individually protected.

I've also added an LED indicator between the recharge port and board so I can easily see when the power is cut. It was recommended I use the Kill Key to cut power to the board before switching battery sources. Since Goth's chassis includes a Kill Key with a notch so you can turn it in place to activate/deactivate the power I wanted a clear way to see that the kill key was properly in place, so the LED will be lit when power is going to the board and will go off when it's safe to switch the battery.

graflex-double-battery-wiring-with-indicator_zpsdv3h81f1.jpg

In addition, I've also decided to install two ignition switches, since I've always considered the "control" box to be the way Luke ignited the saber, but seeing as Finn and Rey appear to use the "top" button, I decided in my own "head cannon" that Anakin being a tech wiz kid would have given himself two options, not sure if anyone has done, so I wanted to try. I will be using Goth's switch holder in the control box for a second ignition switch and the AUX switch. This will also make it easier to just use the control box to hold the ignition and Aux if needed. Here's how I plan to wire this all up, you can either use the red button or the top half of the control box to ignite the saber depending on the grip employed and then the bottom half of the control box will be the AUX:

graflex-double-ignition_zpspgvk5231.jpg

I have the remaining parts and Proffieboard on order and shipping soon so once I get everything I'll be putting it all together with pics.

More to come...
    Last edited by Fett263; 10-17-2018 at 08:14 AM.