Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about double battery with STDP switch for neopixel (Graflex 2.5 build)

Default Question about double battery with STDP switch for neopixel (Graflex 2.5 build)

Seeing as this will only be my second saber build I wanted to double check my thinking with the group's knowledge. I'm planning to build a Korbanth Graflex 2.5 with neopixels using Goth's Padawan chassis, while rough fitting I realized I can get two 18650 batteries in the hilt. I'm not doing a reveal chamber version so one battery is in the chassis in the bottom half and then I can easily fit a second battery in the "neck" above the chassis.

The chassis has a slot for a switch and recharge port, so my thinking was to put a STDP switch in to toggle between the two batteries (I would only run one battery at a time or charge one battery at a time using the switch to control). Since it won't be easy to change out the battery I figure having two at my disposal would essentially double the run time of the saber before needing to charge. I read up and think this would be possible but wanted to double check everything before going further down this path.

Does this look right (it's only the battery, switch, port wiring portion - the board, etc. wiring is not shown)?

graflex-double-battery-wiring_zpsg18whmvp.jpg

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmmm, that might work. Interesting thought.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    Hmmm, that might work. Interesting thought.
    Thanks Tom, here's the "rough in" to show the idea, I'm planning to use a 3-pin GX-16 connector with Shtok's holder for the blade connection. The switch will be mounted flush if I go this way, I'll just cut out a small opening to mount. This is just to show rough position not actual orientation.
    20181011_145132_zpsfkzo95su.jpg

I will notch this area to mount the switch so it's flush, only need to cut a very small portion of the chassis to fit it.
    20181011_144818_zpsqf8pbevo.jpg

The second battery fits perfectly in the top portion:
    20181011_142154_zpscoxnceo7.jpg

If anyone has any thoughts or sees any problems with this feel free to chime in, I haven't ordered all of the parts yet, still thinking things out and planning so all input is welcome.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That idea sounds intriguing. Will be interested in seeing the outcome!

I got some feedback on the Rebel Armory from ARKM, to use the kill key when switching between the batteries, which will be pretty easy since Goth included a notched kill key with the chassis. So the plan will be twist the kill key (to cut the board power), flip the switch to change battery source, then twist kill key back to power the board back up. This will still be way easier than trying to get at the battery to physically change. So I'm going to after this approach, I'm going to be using the Proffieboard for this build (my first attempt) so I'll put together a build thread once I get underway.

Quote Originally Posted by Fett263 View Post
    I got some feedback on the Rebel Armory from ARKM, to use the kill key when switching between the batteries, which will be pretty easy since Goth included a notched kill key with the chassis. So the plan will be twist the kill key (to cut the board power), flip the switch to change battery source, then twist kill key back to power the board back up. This will still be way easier than trying to get at the battery to physically change. So I'm going to after this approach, I'm going to be using the Proffieboard for this build (my first attempt) so I'll put together a build thread once I get underway.
    There is no escape from this bottomless pit Fernando. You are in the mess now.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    There is no escape from this bottomless pit Fernando. You are in the mess now.
    Definitely, it certainly gets addictive fast.

Very interesting. I am looking forward to seeing any tips/ideas as I am building my saber very similar to yours (saber kit 2.0, chassis, etc.). My issue was the battery and the type to get but I may have to try this double battery technique!

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    Very interesting. I am looking forward to seeing any tips/ideas as I am building my saber very similar to yours (saber kit 2.0, chassis, etc.). My issue was the battery and the type to get but I may have to try this double battery technique!
    Sure, I actually wired up the batteries and switch this weekend and started assembly and testing and so far so good, I have a build thread here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...(Proffieboard)

Quote Originally Posted by Fett263 View Post
    Sure, I actually wired up the batteries and switch this weekend and started assembly and testing and so far so good, I have a build thread here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...(Proffieboard)

Subscribed to thread!
    "This is where the fun begins"