Thread: How to feed LED strip into foam diffuser?

Question How to feed LED strip into foam diffuser?

Hi I am just getting started in this wonderful world. I purchased two 36" lengths of WS2812B LED strips to use in a NeoPixel saber. I also purchased a 7/8" thin walled tube and the foam diffuser from TCSS. However, the LED strips are 1/2" wide and don't fit in the diffuser. The inner diameter of the diffuser looks to be about 1 cm.

I could order a 1" tube and associated diffuser and cap as I doubt I'll have any issues with the larger tube. But how have folks built neopixel blades with the 7/8" tube? Do they sell LED strips that are narrow?

Thanks,
    Scott

There are skinny strips that aren't quite as bright, but I've also seen people who cut their strips so they are a little narrower. Haven't messed with that myself... Yet.

The skinny strips are definitely as bright if you diffuse them correctly. I highly recommend the sk 6812s instead of the WS2812bs, you will never get rid of this shadow completely without diffusing too much. And of course you can easily snug-fit them into the foam with some wraps of clear tape or clear heatshrink tube. Easy, as bright as WS2812bs, and you need less material to diffuse them.
    You can get cheap chinese ones but if you want them working reliably better go for the adafruits.

Quote Originally Posted by erazer View Post
    The skinny strips are definitely as bright if you diffuse them correctly. I highly recommend the sk 6812s instead of the WS2812bs, you will never get rid of this shadow completely without diffusing too much. And of course you can easily snug-fit them into the foam with some wraps of clear tape or clear heatshrink tube. Easy, as bright as WS2812bs, and you need less material to diffuse them.
    You can get cheap chinese ones but if you want them working reliably better go for the adafruits.
    Would you happen to have a link to these? I had some eBay ones in my 7/8 and they were horrible...

I donīt think I am allowed to do that here but I am sure you will find some if you type SK6812 MINI 3535 RGB in aliexpress or sth similar. Only 144 pixels per meter of course, not less..
    Last edited by erazer; 09-30-2018 at 11:26 AM.