Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: V2 NeoPixel PCB vs V1

Default V2 NeoPixel PCB vs V1

What's the functional difference btw the V1 and V2 PCBs?

Any place where this has been posted? Did a search and it came up dry, but I'm not that smart.

Thanks to whomever takes the time.

The V2 connector can carry more amps. Not required for a two-strip blade, but if you're running a 3-strip, then it might come in handy.

Much appreciated! Haven't had a FB account in many years.

v1 is for about 9amps, v2 can carry about 15amps if you try to build blades with 3 or 4 strips. But you will need bigger wirings (22gauge at least, negative I would take 20 gauge) and a battery that will be capable of a 15amps output minimum, better 20 amps.
    I tried a 4 strip-build, you would be disappointed indeed. Its not that much brighter than anyone could think, imagine that you have already a 360 degree light-emssion with 2 strips, so 2 additional will not at all double up to double brightness. You will recognize maybe about 10 to 20 percent more. But you will have to diffuse it properly as the pixels come much closer to the edges of the blade, so all in all you will have to dim the strips out to a degree where your 2strip constellation will be even brighter.
    Stick to 3500mah 10amps batteries and the v1 connector for 2x sk6812, thats definitely the best compromise in brightness and even diffusion you can get in my opinion

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Just adding that I tested the new connector at 20amps.. It will get very toasty at that but it held up fine.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Quote Originally Posted by erazer View Post
    v1 is for about 9amps, v2 can carry about 15amps if you try to build blades with 3 or 4 strips. But you will need bigger wirings (22gauge at least, negative I would take 20 gauge) and a battery that will be capable of a 15amps output minimum, better 20 amps.
    I tried a 4 strip-build, you would be disappointed indeed. Its not that much brighter than anyone could think, imagine that you have already a 360 degree light-emssion with 2 strips, so 2 additional will not at all double up to double brightness. You will recognize maybe about 10 to 20 percent more. But you will have to diffuse it properly as the pixels come much closer to the edges of the blade, so all in all you will have to dim the strips out to a degree where your 2strip constellation will be even brighter.
    Stick to 3500mah 10amps batteries and the v1 connector for 2x sk6812, thats definitely the best compromise in brightness and even diffusion you can get in my opinion
    I’m trying to understand this. How would a 4 strip blade be only 10-20% brighter than a 2 strip blade? Assuming the battery and wiring can provide enough juice to the strips isn’t there a linear relationship between brightness and strip count?

Our eyes don't perceive brightness on a linear scale. It's more akin to a logarithmic scale. Standing inside a well-lit office building seems roughly as bright (to your eyes) as standing outside on a cloudy day, but there's a significant difference in the light levels.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Meatsweats View Post
    I’m trying to understand this. How would a 4 strip blade be only 10-20% brighter than a 2 strip blade? Assuming the battery and wiring can provide enough juice to the strips isn’t there a linear relationship between brightness and strip count?
    Well this is exactly what I thought too before I started building it. But there are certain limitations if it comes to real brightness recognized by a human eye. The first thing is the human eye itself, it limits you up to a subjective degree of "feeled brightness". That starts at the wave length you recognize to be brightest like the green colours and yellow ones in comparison to blues or reds although their wave lenghts should be differently bright if you follow the pattern. And it ends where you have to learn that light you emit on two strips will already be dispersed in 360 degrees into the space around, just softened out a bit where it comes to the edges of the strips. If u take 4 strips your brightness will only light up that edges where your two strips didn´t accomplish to light out the 90 degree side-space, so thats where you will get like a maximum of 20 percent more brightness in fact for a human eye. If u put on a lumen-meter you will certainly get the "double-brightness" you expected but never will it be the same for a real look at it. And this all will bring you to the next problem: you gotta diffuse all these four strips that come so much closer to the edges of the bladetube now.
    I tried it myself. I was so curious to get it happen. I was all in for this project, nothing could stop me believing it would be the brightest fckn thing ever built. I was so happy that TCSS just came out with that v2 connector. I am so sorry to tell you this but reality and human eye catches up on here... its just disappointing.. but please dont listen to me. try it yourself. it´s a nice project to get accomplished and you WILL be proud though it will not have the brightness you would like to have seen. The force is with you, always.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatsweats View Post
    No, there isn’t necessary a linear relationship. There is this little concept called “The Law of Diminishing Returns”. Light sometimes falls into this category.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com