Thread: Prism sound card issues

Default Prism sound card issues

This is not my first post but is my first under a new username. I am having a problem with a pair of Prism 5.1 sound cards. Both sound cards are wired identically. This is my first time using a Prism board but I have built more than 15 sabers using Nano B.'s. When I activate the main switch I get nothing. I have tested the following circuits (isolated from the sound card) with positive results; the main blade LED (Tri-Cree RGB), main (with LED ring) and aux momentary switches and batteries (fully charged). I also wired the blade LED resistors on the hot side before they go into the LEDS. I have 3 resistors: 1ohm 3W (red dye), 1.2ohm 3w (green dye) and 1.5ohm 3w (blue dye). put both sound cards under a magnifier; looking for solder bridges and did not see any.
    Specs: (1) 3.7vdc Li-Ion cell, 28 guage wires, Tri-Cree (RGB) LED, 28mm premium speaker in battery housing and a dummy cell. I do have photos of the boards in current state. I have also done some additional testing with a voltmeter. Checked the battery itself and read 4.13vDC; also, from +battery terminal to the hot side of each switch connection on the board and I read 4.12v. only modification to the SD cards was I added an addition font that my client downloaded from Saberfonts. I have not touched the 3 onboard defaults that Plector loads onto the SD card (lightmeat, darkmeat and grey meat).

wiring key:

26guage red wires from battery hot side
    26guage black and grey wires from battery return
    28guage grey sound card returns
    28guage red to LED +
    28guage green to speaker
    28guage orange to hot side of main switch
    28guage yellow to hot side of aux switch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Black wrinkle powder coating done by TCSS. Looks great. Client was blown away when they saw the professional job on the powder coated pieces.

I think it may be your switch ground wire Grey...It looks like you have it attached to the accessory led ground pad.
    there are three larger pads in a row.... Main switch, Acc switch, switch ground....This is where your grey ground for your switch goes right next to the two other pads
    prizm 2.jpg
    Last edited by k6gad; 09-17-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by k6gad View Post
    I think it may be your switch ground wire Grey...It looks like you have it attached to the accessory led ground pad.
    there are three larger pads in a row.... Main switch, Acc switch, switch ground....This is where your grey ground for your switch goes right next to the two other pads
    prizm 2.jpg
    If the Prizm has the same layout as the PC/CF, this doesn't matter, because both ground pads should be the same ground as each other and the negative of the board. A voltmeter will confirm this. The multiple ground pads are mostly just there for convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by cvsickle View Post
    If the Prizm has the same layout as the PC/CF, this doesn't matter, because both ground pads should be the same ground as each other and the negative of the board. A voltmeter will confirm this. The multiple ground pads are mostly just there for convenience.
    I stand corrected....I don’t have any further suggestions....sorry...

There are two grounds coming off my main switch. One is for the switching part and the other is on the return side of a ring LED on the switch. I have checked to make sure that the switch wires are going to the switch legs and the LED wires are going to accent LED pads. I have been able to hook my meter up to the switch legs and push the button and get a voltage reading across the switch 4.11vdc. there is a .04vdc drop from the battery which reads at 4.15vdc.