Thread: LED common anode vs common cathode

Default LED common anode vs common cathode

I'm looking at accent LED crystals on the site and wondering what the practical difference between these two types is. With the severely limited knowledge I have of electronics, I understand that one is positive and one is negative, but beyond that I don't understand where or why you'd use one over the other. Any help would be appreciated.

Commons cathode (-) are good when you are powering an accent LED with the accent pads of a CF or a Prism. Common anode (+) are good when you are say, wiring an accent LED in parallel with a Main LED on a Prizm, which uses the (-) pads as the signal pads. It all depends on where the LED signal is coming from (+) or (-) pad. The practical difference is if you use the wrong one in a particular setup, it won’t work.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    The practical difference is if you use the wrong one in a particular setup, it won’t work.
    ... and it will probably explode.