Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kenner saber sound boards?

Default Resonator spots!!

Ok I have been toying around with the SB and figured out the spots to put a force resonator. There are actually 2 spots on this board. one for clash only and another for blade start, clash, hum, and stop if anyone would like to see i took pix but will have to scale them P.S. Sry for the double posting but I thought this was a subject to itself.

Quote Originally Posted by vortextwist
    This is the same unit that I had inside of my kenner saber.

My question, and forgive my wiring ignorance, how do you wire this up since there is an on/off switch in the board itself? Can I just piggyback the battery line off of the battery pack?

I'm sure I'll have more questions that will make you all go "jeez, this guy needs to read an elementary wiring/electronics manual" but since I'm only going to be making a saber, I figured I'd just come to the source.

Thanks in advance.

I stupidly connected the led on the "LAMP" wires, with proper resistors or buckpuck or whatever you want to use. The circuit will act as the ON/OFF switch, and you'll have a flashy turn on sequence in bonus.
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

huh?

I purchased the basic battery pack kit for my LED saber setup, which already comes with the on/off, I just want to know how one goes about bypassing the on/off of the kenner sound module and how it would tie into the basic electronics kit.

Thanks, and forgive me if I missed the fact that you did in fact answer my question, but I'm just THAT ignorant about wiring. lol

what you want to do is to replace the on/off switch of the kit you bought by the Kenner sound board.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsupial
    The circuit will act as the ON/OFF switch.
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

[quote="Marsupial"]what you want to do is to replace the on/off switch of the kit you bought by the Kenner sound board.

ok, so I got this kit:

and you're saying that rather than use the on/off from the kit, to use the on/off that's hardwired directly into the circuit board?

I don't see how that would be possible, since it's directly embedded into the circuitboard.[/img]

I won't use the term "embedded" in this case. Switches used on MR or this kenner board are just soldered with wires to the PCB. There is no obstacle to keep the same on-off button, or to unsolder it for replacement however :
    - if the kenner board can handle the current of your luxeon, then, the resistor + luxeon is wired in place of the lamp (5 post above), you keep the same stock switch, exactly wired like it is on the kenner board.
    - or you need an external drive for the LED, kenner board and luxeon+resistor circuit being in //. In this case, you'll need a double contact row switch, one for switching kenner board on, the other for the luxeon circuit. The MR switches, I think, have this double set of independant contacts, even if only one set is used.
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

Here's the backside of the kenner board with the rubber on/off "button"

Here it is without the rubber push button for the on/off

if you ask me, it looks embedded, since there's a little pad inside of the rubber on/off button that makes the connection, without it, it's my understanding that the unit will not turn on.

Thoughts?

Thanks to everyone who's chimed in on this!

You should be able to solder some wires to to the board to bypass the integrated switch. Follow the traces to identify where each one leads, then solder a wire to each one of the traces for the integrated switch. You did get a momentary switch in the kit, right? Hasbros won't work with a click on/click off switch.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

okay, I moderate slightly my words it's "a bit" embedded, but it's just an electrical contact made out of 2 poles, connected with a carbon-rubber button.
    As said in the post above, 2 wires soldered to an external switch will work in 10 sec. Once properly soldered, put some hot glue on the assembly.
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com