Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Personal Hilt...finally! Custom hilt, removable chassis, Neopixel, Teensysaber build

Default Personal Hilt...finally! Custom hilt, removable chassis, Neopixel, Teensysaber build

This will be my WIP thread for my personal saber. I've been building sabers for over 10 years and I've never kept one for longer than a few months, for the last 2 years I've been in business taking commissions and buildings sabers for others non stop. I have found that lots of people ask me what I like in my own sabers....obviously I can't answer that because I don't have any of my own. So I decided to take some little bits of time here and there and finally design and build something for myself. I also decided to use this as an opportunity to try some new things for the first time. The saber is based on an original character story I'm writing about a Imperial fighter pilot and his untimely call to the force after the Jedi purge and during the rise of the Empire. The saber is meant to be constructed of parts from an old E-11 blaster and his wrecked TIE fighter after making his escape from the Empire.

I wasn't planning to do a WIP thread, but since this one is mine I figured I would share my process a bit. The pics on this first post are just candid snaps I send to my good buddy for review as I do with all my builds. He keeps me sane when I'm lost in self doubt or indecision and I couldn't do what I do without him. Thanks Jason!

I'll take some more detailed pics of the remainder of the process and the install as it happens. Thanks for looking and MTFBWY!

SPECS:
    Custom machined 6061 aluminum hilt
    Custom machined Delrin inner chassis for Teensy and recharge and another for switches and neopixel accents
    Custom machined removable aluminum chassis
    Custom made steel belt spring style clip
    Teensy V3 with TeensySaber 3.2
    WS2812B Neopixels strips X 2
    TCSS Neopixel connectors and housings
    TCSS 18650 10A battery
    Switchcraft 2.1mm Recharge port
    Speaker Essentials 24mm speaker
    TCSS low profile tactile switches
    TCSS 1" trans white thin walled blade stock w/ bullet tip bored out and diffused
    TCSS diffuser foam
    Lots and lots of diffuser film

The main components after machining. The hilt, shrouds, control boxes and chassis housing are all machined from 6061 aluminum.

After some thought, I didn't like the lower shroud and decided to split it up a bit and give the saber a second choke point on the lower section. This decision would have a bonus side effect later...

It then got it's paint job. I probably jumped the gun a bit, but I'm impatient and knew I wanted a weathered finish so figured I'd go ahead and then allow it weather over the build process as well.

Originally I knew I wanted a control box, so I took the easy road and shaved down a TCSS control box to make it narrower and mocked it up.

I then changed my mind and decided to go with a smaller control box, so I made one from scratch using a piece of 1/4" aluminum flat bar. I then milled out a relief in the bottom and added perforated steal and gold mesh for a really cool grill effect. This will eventually be a window to an animated neopixel strip in the chassis. I later added a second smaller box purely for the aesthetic.

This is where everything stands right now. I have everything in had and I believe I'm about ready for the install....I will be utilizing a ton of resources made available by members of this community and TRA so thank you both retroactively and in advance to cover my butt both past and present lol.

I'll get some more detailed shots tomorrow when I'm back in the shop.
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

Oh boy, that is an awesome hilt, and the things Teensy can do...WOWSA. For your personal saber, this one will be aweome!

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    Oh boy, that is an awesome hilt, and the things Teensy can do...WOWSA. For your personal saber, this one will be aweome!
    If it turns out awesome it will be in large part to you and your many very helpful videos. Not to mention the code you gave me on TRA for you're awesome ColorCycle effect. I plan to have use that effect to mimic using part of the ion drive from a tie to make the saber.

I really appreciate the compliment, thank you.

Wow! Awesome job! And that control box.... man! Absolutely in love with its design! It would be a shame to sell this one. I will be watching this thread's every step.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Skywalker View Post
    Wow! Awesome job! And that control box.... man! Absolutely in love with its design! It would be a shame to sell this one. I will be watching this thread's every step.
    Pretty sure if I sell it, my above mentioned best friend will murder me. He's been yelling at me for a long time to get one build for myself. So far I'm in love with it, and I haven't even awoken the Teensy monster yet...I'm sure it'll stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Leximus View Post
    Pretty sure if I sell it, my above mentioned best friend will murder me. He's been yelling at me for a long time to get one build for myself. So far I'm in love with it, and I haven't even awoken the Teensy monster yet...I'm sure it'll stick around.
    That’s it! Ive had enough! I just need to get a teensy. Ive heard so much about them. I just gotta get one before they’ll all be sold.

Just some more pics of the hilt assembled. Missing in these pics are the switch plate as it needs the chassis installed to lock into place and the chassis is not completed yet. The middle shroud is on a LS6 inspired peg and rail system so it twists and then slides up to reveal the recharge port on the open side and neopixel accents through the mesh grill on the other side.

Had to work on commissions today so didn't get anything done on it. I plan to finish the chassis and then begin the install process tomorrow hopefully.

Nothing new to show just yet, but I just received my custom commissioned font for this bad boy from our good friend Jediseth. No peaks till I get it installed, but I will say it is everything I asked for.

Thanks Seth!

Jediseth has some wicked ones for sure. This saber is going to rock!

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    Jediseth has some wicked ones for sure. This saber is going to rock!
    I'm really excited the font will fit it perfectly...now I just need to finish some commissions so I have time to work on it. #smithworldproblems