Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VV neopixel not as bright as TCSS build

Default VV neopixel not as bright as TCSS build

Hey everyone.ive been building TCSS neopixel sabers for a year now while waiting for my VV build to arrive (29 weeks). Anyways,I received the VV (thin walled)expecting it to be the brighter blade...but out of my three neopixel builds (thick walled) it is noticably dimmer.just wonder how this compares to all your builds.thanks

I dunno? I build my own blades. I don't know what they're putting in them for diffusion. Have you tried building your own blade? It isn't that bad with parts available right here at TCSS sans the strips.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Haven't built a Neopixel saber yet, but I understand that some people put their data line resistor in the hilt while others put it in their blades. Can't seem to figure out which VV does, but is it possible that both your VV blade and your saber have resistors? Or neither? Just a shot in the dark.

I build my own thick wall neopixel blades with the resistor in the blade.i may cut apart the VV to see what they're doing... maybe their crystal shard limits the current to the LEDS a bit more than my nano biscotti

I also tried one of my own blade builds in the VV hilt but the brightness is the same. My TCSS hilt are doing something to increase brightness but I can't figure it out

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

If the blade is brighter in your hilt versus theirs then I would say your hilt is supplying more amperage which could be as simple as the wire size used.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I’d be interested to see someone tear a VV blade down and see what strips they use.

Great point.I'll do some reverse engineering on the VV to see what gauge they're using.im using 24 gauge

If VV uses 3535 strips and you are using 5050 strips that can be the difference. There is also some variation in these things no matter what. The resistor on the data line is irrelevant, it only affects the signal.

But the VV blade gets brighter in my TCSS hilts,so it has to be on the VV hilt end of things that causes the dimmness