Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: You were the chosen one... (ANH/ROTS replica graflex)

Default You were the chosen one... (ANH/ROTS replica graflex)

Hey builders!! I'm so excited, my May the 4th orders all arrived! Now I get to build a saber that I've wanted for fourteen years.

Let's get over the first hurdle: the prequels hold a special place in my heart. I was nine when phantom menace hit theaters. I was in high school for revenge of the sith. Ill gladly admit they have many problems as films, but they gave me something I desperately wanted: the origin of the greatest villain in cinema.

So when this may fourth sale came around, something just clicked. It was time to make my first graflex.

My build so far:
    The Graflex Shop flash handle replica
    Tcss replica blade adapter and chassis disks
    Anakin clamp card from Slothfurnace
    Gold button replica from Shameem (sorry dude, i forgot your forum name)
    Anakin rots pins from tcss
    Textured lure tape i picked up a while ago for this build and labeled "someday" (not pictured)

anhrots graflex.jpg

The Graflex Shop flash handle itself was discounted due to a blemish (and the only reason i could afford it), an inch long scratch just below the beer tab. Im hoping i can buff this out on the road to a near-chrome shine. Even my crummy cell phone camera can see the scratch, so i have a feeling it'll take a bit of work.
    blemish.jpg

On the subject of a near-chrome shine, my lower grip is much shinier than my upper grip. I hope that's visible with my phone camera.
    shiny lowgrip.jpg

I have not yet decided on electronics. Id love to have a crazy reveal with a metal 3d printed chassis, maybe neopixel, but im not made of money, so we'll see. This is already going to be a shelf queen, and may end up being a long term build.

Things to do:
    Im planning on using the seven grips from ANH, and im keeping the beer tab because... i like it.
    I dont know if im going to color the red button or just keep it red. Probably just going to keep it red.
    Gold leaf or paint the clamp lever.
    As much as id like to put my switches in the clamp, i dont want to alter/ruin Sloths beautiful card.
    Find a solution to get a momentary switch in place of the slide switch if i need a two button build.
    Gotta try buff out the blemish. If its too stubborn i might weather the hilt like its post Mustafar.
    Eventually decide on a chassis, get something printed or try my hand at something crazy.
    I need to trim a few screws for a better fit and finish, like shave down the screw for the beer tab.
    Find the courage to drill and tap into the lower grip, either for a d ring or the convertech. Haven't decided which.

I hope to have more to show you guys soon. Till next time!!
    Last edited by Vereous; 05-17-2018 at 05:04 PM.
    Player: I feel your anger, master.
    Darth Baras: A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!!

Cool! You have been waiting for fourteen years to build this, I can't say I've been waiting that long to build any saber. This'll be fun watching as I also really like the graflex. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Skywalker View Post
    Cool! You have been waiting for fourteen years to build this, I can't say I've been waiting that long to build any saber. This'll be fun watching as I also really like the graflex. Good luck!
    It seems in my excitement, I rounded up my months and flubbed my mental math lol, its only been thirteen years. Thank you for the luck! im gonna need it.

I am also building a ROTS Anakin saber currently so will be watching your build with interest!
    "This is where the fun begins"

The only sabers I've built are my own design. Maybe next saber I'll do a graphlex.

UPDATE!! So I haven't been working on this saber that much because I needed to finish my contest saber, but I've had an interesting development:

About a week before the contest ended, a guy on a Facebook group sold a 2005 master replicas ROTS Anakin saber for super cheap because "it doesn't light up anymore".

Not a problem. I bought it.

I didn't have the heart to tell the guy I was just going to gut it, but now I can build a Rots and Anh as separate sabers. I ordered a tcss conversion kit and I'm looking into chassis options for a gutted master replica.

So with this in mind, I'm thinking I'll grab the parts I need for an ANH graflex for my replica flash, and finish it with one of those hardcore goth3d printed chassis.

For the ROTS saber, I gotta use a prizm since the built in switch is latching. Unless my ruler is off, it looks like I could just barely cram a 12 mm switch into the fake red button as an auxiliary switch, and cut a channel to run the wires.

Also for the ROTS saber, I'm considering sanding down the molded t-grips to be a lower profile, and more closely resemble the stunt model that Hayden fought with.
    Screenshot_20180728-111434.jpg

The MR hilt is noticeably longer than a graflex replica, almost exactly a half inch longer. I had to measure to be sure, but the MR is just barely thicker than the graflex replica as well. In hand, however, i think they feel about the same. ANH on top, ROTS on bottom.
    IMG_20180728_132113.jpg
    Last edited by Vereous; 07-28-2018 at 02:56 PM.

See if the Graflex 2.0 red button bezel is about the same size. I'm not familiar with the ROTS hilt, but I have done a bunch of MR/Hasbro Graflex conversions. I used the graflex 2.0 red buttons on there. was able to mill in wire slot to the TCSS adapter for the red button wires, and milled down the red button so that it fit in the hilt, and glued it in. The factory switch on the MR was glued in, so I figured, "Whats the difference". I was also able to drill/tap the TCSS adapter to receive the Graflex 2.0 glass eye. I think it was 10-32, I'd have to check. I'm not sure how Shameem's (DarthMario) gold button is, but I'm guessing he put the gold button into the Graflex 2.0 glass eye with the threads on it. If so, you can just drill and tap the TCSS Adapter to fit that.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    See if the Graflex 2.0 red button bezel is about the same size. I'm not familiar with the ROTS hilt, but I have done a bunch of MR/Hasbro Graflex conversions. I used the graflex 2.0 red buttons on there. was able to mill in wire slot to the TCSS adapter for the red button wires, and milled down the red button so that it fit in the hilt, and glued it in. The factory switch on the MR was glued in, so I figured, "Whats the difference". I was also able to drill/tap the TCSS adapter to receive the Graflex 2.0 glass eye. I think it was 10-32, I'd have to check. I'm not sure how Shameem's (DarthMario) gold button is, but I'm guessing he put the gold button into the Graflex 2.0 glass eye with the threads on it. If so, you can just drill and tap the TCSS Adapter to fit that.

Tom
    Yes, Shameems gold eye is 10-32, so drilling and tapping the adapter was my plan. I just need to make slight adjustments to the stock bezel since the gold eye by itself is smaller, instead of having a gap between Shameems gold eye and the outer wall. should be some simple dremel sanding. Just gotta take my time, be careful and not fudge it.

I dont have a 2.0 red button, but the thought i had was maybe getting something like Shameems 12mm switch in gold and glueing that to the rots red button housing. it wouldnt be completely screen accurate, but thats not my goal with this saber. Ill leave screen accuracy for my ANHflex.

Your video on the MR ANH conversion was helpful, as it answered my question of how you secured the v6 in that hilt. I measure the TCSS adapter at ~35mm, so i think 1 inch pvc should make a good sled for my electronics if dont also use the v6.

Did you have to clean gummy grips? and if so, what did you use?
    Last edited by Vereous; 07-30-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vereous View Post
    Yes, Shameems gold eye is 10-32, so drilling and tapping the adapter was my plan. I just need to make slight adjustments to the stock bezel since the gold eye by itself is smaller, instead of having a gap between Shameems gold eye and the outer wall. should be some simple dremel sanding. Just gotta take my time, be careful and not fudge it.

I dont have a 2.0 red button, but the thought i had was maybe getting something like Shameems 12mm switch in gold and glueing that to the rots red button housing. it wouldnt be completely screen accurate, but thats not my goal with this saber. Ill leave screen accuracy for my ANHflex.

Your video on the MR ANH conversion was helpful, as it answered my question of how you secured the v6 in that hilt. I measure the TCSS adapter at ~35mm, so i think 1 inch pvc should make a good sled for my electronics if dont also use the v6.

Did you have to clean gummy grips? and if so, what did you use?
    Man, those rubber grips are impossible to clean. I tried with rubbing alcohol. Worked a little bit. I have an extra (lots actually) 2.0 switch bezel and hat, may even have the extra tactile switch that goes in it. If you want it, PM me your addy, and I'll send it to you. I owe a pay it forward deal on graflex parts anyway.

On the MR Graflex, there was a plastic insert. I believe I dremeled down the inside of the red button bezel to fit into that plastic insert. The plastic insert was chromed, and I didn't want to hazard damaging that chromed plastic.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Tilmon; 08-01-2018 at 08:09 AM.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Man, those rubber grips are impossible to clean.
    I was afraid youd say that. Only thing thats worked for me so far is my fingernail and boatloads of serene patience that i am not known for. Im afraid to try something like acetone because i cant tell if the chrome finish can be deteriorated. if i work up the courage i can test with the chrome under the fake clamp. Maybe, i might not try it at all, just keep scraping off gunk with my nails until im satisfied.

I have an extra (lots actually) 2.0 switch bezel and hat, may even have the extra tactile switch that goes in it. If you want it, PM me your addy, and I'll send it to you. I owe a pay it forward deal on graflex parts anyway.

On the MR Graflex, there was a plastic insert. I believe I dremeled down the inside of the red button bezel to fit into that plastic insert. The plastic insert was chromed, and I didn't want to hazard damaging that chromed plastic.

Tom
    That would be amazing! Wow, thank you! Ill PM you after i get this response posted.

Its a chromed plastic insert on the MR ROTS as well, so its easy for me to modify, but its also easy for me to ruin if im not careful. Did it look like this?
    IMG_20180801_131329.jpg

I picked up some 1 inch pvc this morning, and the outer diameter is 33.5mm (about 1.31 inches), so its an almost perfect fit into the lower section under the molded T grips. Id like to try to build my own v6 sled so i dont need a set screw, and itll give some material for my tcss convertech thumbscrew to bite into. Even with the screw fully tightened the stock MR convertech was freely spinning and squeaking in a way that made me cringe.

Hey! Another question, since youve worked with MR's before: Since i gutted the saber, i had to remove the speaker grill from the stock MR batter holder. i was thinking that if i can get a well built sled going, i could use a spare spring from a maglite or something to hold the speaker grill into the pommel. Does that sound like a dumb idea? Should i just glue it instead?
    Last edited by Vereous; 08-01-2018 at 01:24 PM. Reason: added speaker grill question.