Thread: First Time builder, Need some help!

Default First Time builder, Need some help!

Hi everyone,

I am building a lightsaber for my quickly approaching obi-wan costume for dragoncon this year. It is my first build and I THOUGHT I had everything I need but...

I am building on the K4 obi-wan kit. It is quite snug inside but I can get everything to fit I think. So, here is what I have:

Hilt/body: K4 hilt and included switches (how the hell do I wire this? Also it looks like its a permanently installed part once I solder stuff)
    Power Supply: 7.4v Li-ion 2600mAh 18650 Battery Pack
    Driver/Chip: MWS Pre-Wired Nano Biscotte Sound Module V4 (has harness)
    Lights: Tri-Cree LED (Royal Blue x2, White x1)
    Speaker: 2w 20mm Speaker

Charger: 3.7V-14.8V 1Amp Li-Ion Smart charger

Ok, so, From what I have been seeing, I need a capacitor (or resistor?) between the nano biscotte and my LED, is that right? Do I just solder it somewhere along the lead into the LED? Do I need any others between say, the speaker and the Biscotte?
    And, what size/capacity? I saw a calculator but I'm not sure what I am supposed to be mathing to get the right one....

Also, with the charger, it came with leads with clips, like a mini jumper cable. How do I apply those to the battery? Would I need to just connect the existing JST to another set with exposed wires, and then clip the charger to that?

Finally, the Biscotte does not have a the motion sensor, correct? With what I have, I'll have lights, sound (I guess without a movement sensor just the buzz of the blade?) and switches. Am I missing anything else that is essential?

I am sorry for these newbie questions but this is so far out of my wheel house at the moment. I haven't thought about electronics and wiring since high-school! Any help you guys can provide would be extremely appreciated! Thanks in advance and let me know if I left out crucial info...

Ok, first thing is first. The NB is a 3.7v sound card, so that 7.4v battery pack will only damage it. You'll need to get a 3.7v pack.

Quote Originally Posted by cvsickle View Post
    Ok, first thing is first. The NB is a 3.7v sound card, so that 7.4v battery pack will only damage it. You'll need to get a 3.7v pack.
    Well hell. Ok, any of the ones they offer at Customsabershop ok?

such as....http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Li...dule-P775.aspx

Looks like thats narrow enough to fit inside...

That one will work but this one http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Pa...tery-P853.aspx will give you a much longer run time. It is however also much larger.

Both those batteries have 18mm diameter, one is 50mm long the other is 65mm long. Both have PCB protection.
    You will need a resistor for each die of the Tri Cree and for any accent LEDs. There are tutorials for Ohms law, here on the forums.
    The NBv4 has motion sensors. All features are listed in the user manual.
    The search bar is your friend .

Greenie

Thanks for the info guys- I'll have a look for the ohms tuturial and see about resistors- one for each die (light?)? I guess you have to install that to the LED board?

It's not that I haven't searched- I really didn't want to have to bother people with another "newb who can't follow instructions" post, but for someone not used to any wiring or electrical construction, even with some of the how-to guides it can be very difficult to know where to start and which instructions apply to my specific build.

Thanks again.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...utorial-Videos

Check these out. They're invaluable. Some will be relevant for you.

Yep, pretty much watch all of Madcow's videos, then that K4 will be a breeze. EZ hilt, kind of.

TOm

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."