Thread: MHS Windu for Evan

Default MHS Windu for Evan

This saber was built as a birthday present for a young boy, and I was given a budget of $300.00 and 3 weeks to complete it! Because of my own stupidity, Nihilus II was eliminated from the TCSS Saber Contest, and then I had no entry, so I entered this saber. This saber was not really a contest saber, and in the company of contestants, it certainly paled in comparison; however, for what it is, and who it is for, it was a good saber!

Evan is a HUGE Mace Windu fan, and wanted a saber that "looked like" Mace's saber. His main concern was the purple blade. I told dad, I got that handled! So, off we go:

TCSS Shopping List:
    1 of: Nano Biscotte Sound Module V4
    1 of: 12mm Anti Vandal Momentary White Ring Switch
    2 of: Power Xtender™ 2.0
    2 of: Clear bullet 1" thin walled blade tip
    1 of: MHS speaker mount V6 - For 28mm Speakers
    1 of: 18650 Single Cell Holder
    1 of: Clear 1" thin walled blade tip
    1 of: TrustFire Protected 3.7V 2400mAh 18650 Li-Ion Battery (2-pack)
    1 of: MPS Clip
    1 of: Brass MPS Insert style 1
    1 of: 1" Thin walled Polycarbonate 40" long (No)
    2 of: Machine recessed 12mm AV switch hole
    2 of: 2" Double female threaded connector
    1 of: MPS Pommel style 10
    10 of: Grip Style 2
    1 of: MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 19
    1 of: 6" Double female threaded connector
    1 of: Milled cutouts for grip style 2 (10)
    1 of: Custom Tri-Cree LED (Deep Red, Green, Royal Blue)
    2 of: Gender Changer
    2 of: 40" LED blade diffuser for 1" thin walled blade
    1 of: Veco Bass Speaker

Elsewhere: 1 12mm plastic body rc port
    Gold Paint

The milled cutouts by TCSS were in the 6" double female, and the TCSS Grip 2's were affixed in those slots. PEX on NBIV drives full RGB on the custom LED. Chassis was the MHS V6 chassis for simplicity for the kid. I wanted to mill other parts, unfortunately TCSS machine shop was jam packed busy at the time, so thus the plain mid section. I'm sure I could improve this design extensively with ribbed extensions and other custom milled pieces, and perhaps plating or powdercoating. But, this is how we learn. I am happy with the results, and considering this saber is for a kid, simple was actually better in this instance! Simple will not win saber building contests, and I knew that, but whoa! Those other entries! WOW.

Painting:

LED:

LED Module:

NBIV w/PEX in MHS V6:

Finished Saber:

The real winner of the TCSS Saber Contest! Can you imagine when we were this age? I would have died.

Video:

I want to thank TCSS and FJK for the opportunity to even have an entry in the contest. I just wish I would have saved my current build for it. I'll be better prepared next time to deal with Jediseth and the rest! I thought that all of the entries were awesome, and I was proud to be side by side with them.

Now, back to Nihilus II!!!!!!!!

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Tilmon; 07-25-2018 at 02:36 PM.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Great work, Tom! Especially with the limited budget and time! You would have definitely been in the top three with your Nihilus! But that blade holder does look wicked, now that I see it.
    And yessss, back to Nihilus 2!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Skywalker View Post
    Great work, Tom! Especially with the limited budget and time! You would have definitely been in the top three with your Nihilus! But that blade holder does look wicked, now that I see it.
    And yessss, back to Nihilus 2!!!!
    The other day you asked if TCSS shroud would go over that blade holder, and I knew it would, but wasn't allowed to say how! Ha. It is an awesome blade holder.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Great entry Tom and the first MHS Windu I've seen anyone build. I bet it has one happy owner. Don't forget to read them rules next time