Thread: battery issue

Default battery issue

Well my new build was a little tight and I yanked on the battery a little too hard. It's a Panasonic one too, dang it. Any ideas how to fix it? I tested on the multimeter so I know which tab is positive on the battery. It looks pretty tricky to solder back. I feel like our friend with the dented threaded part.

Last edited by Jediseth; 07-25-2018 at 09:22 AM.

1. Can you show the battery end where it attaches?
    2. Do you have proper sized shrink wrap for the battery? If so take that off so you can see where it connects.

I’ve seen a vid on YouTube where a guy solders batteries end to end by pre-tinning both ends the he uses a blade type end on the soldering iron to heat up the solder while pushing the batteries together. I am assuming the situation is similar here in that the contacts are on either side of those chips you may need a piece of L shaped molding to hold everything while you push everything together. Don’t know where to get a spatula shaped soldering tip though...make one?

Here is a link ... a little different tip than I was describing but the technique is what I was describing..
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J7DsZ_Sspp4
    Last edited by k6gad; 07-29-2018 at 07:21 AM.

I'd be cautious about putting an iron on the lithium ion batteries. I think they're supposed to be spot welded on, the leads going to the protection board from the battery ends. They use a flat (low profile) copper ribbon from negative up to the PCB. If the leads are still connected to the battery, you could fix it by soldering the PCB back into place on the leads. If the leads broke free from the button and negative end, you might be SOL, unless you're a gambling man.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

I already shocked myself by touching the battery. Thanks for the replies, but I think your right about the iron on a battery. I think it’s going in the garbage.