Thread: Getting out a Dent

Default Getting out a Dent

Hello there Fellow Saber builders,
    I (being the Fat Head that I am) dropped a saber part and dented it. Hoe can I get the dent out?

Thanks,

Dented_Saber_Part.jpg

heat it with a blowtorch and bend it with some pliers.... just put something that wont burn on the teeth of the pliers so they don't trash your threads or outside finish.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unclescary View Post
    Hello there Fellow Saber builders,
    I (being the Fat Head that I am) dropped a saber part and dented it. Hoe can I get the dent out?

Thanks,

Dented_Saber_Part.jpg
    Yikes! Thats probably the single worst place to get a dent. I am not sure of what you can do without damaging the threads even more. And even still I don't think you'd get it perfectly round to where the other piece would screw in properly or at all. You may have to chalk this up to lesson learned and get a new part.

Hopefully someone smarter and more creative than me chimes in with a miracle.

Good luck!
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

Well, I doubt this will really work but a large tapered wooden dowel (a stake used for dispatching vampires)hammered down the tube to force it back in to shape?
    Failing that, what DC said.

That piece is a write off.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

If you get it close either by the Mr Pointy method or other manipulation, but still can't get it to thread, you can sand the threads off of the male side and tap it in and use some other fastening method. You can also just cut the threads off both sides and use a bit of 1.25 tubing to join them.

I too have FUBAR'd a hilt piece like this. Its toast. jbkuma's solution was the best. Get a new piece, don't junk up your saber with that part.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Use it as a practice piece for etching or milling maybe?