Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Custom Hilt, reveal chassis, cf9 w/ cex build

Default Custom Hilt, reveal chassis, cf9 w/ cex build

This is one of the more involved commissions I've been given the honor of building. The trick to this one will be space management, I like to make all my hilts as slim as possible, most falling just over 1.25" in OD, this makes fitting intricate chassis a challenge. Especially when the client requests a fully loaded CFv9 w/ CEX and no single cell hack....We will see how this goes!

Here is the design sketch that was approved by my client, the size is not to scale, but it gives an overall layout of how it will go together.

I approached this one a bit backwards and started with the shrouds. These will still receive a fair amount of filing and sanding to get everything straight and perfect. They were cut from 1.25" copper tubing using the trusty dremel.

Found some good cutoff spare pieces of aluminum to use for the main hilt...let the machining commence. I use a Grizzly G0516 Lathe/Mill Combo. Overall the machine works well, its the first heavy machine i've ever purchased, if I had it to do again I would buy the lathe and mill seperately, the lathe is hampered by having the mill attached but I find most milling jobs to be hindered by the limited workspace.

Both halves came out really nice and the shrouds fit perfectly snug without marring the finish of the aluminum. Next will be only my second attempt at threading so fingers crossed I don't ruin these beautiful pieces lol. I will practice on scrap until i have the whole process down.

After the threads are done, I'll be boring out the bottom half a bit more to help accommodate the batter and board being sandwiched to help maintain space. All the main electronics will be housed in the lower half to allow for the top to be an intricate crystal chamber.

Finally the main hilt pieces will have windows milled for the various reveals and finally the chassis work will begin.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Darth Leximus; 07-10-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

You've done it again! Really nice design. Excuses me for asking, but how are you going to make the threading?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Skywalker View Post
    You've done it again! Really nice design. Excuses me for asking, but how are you going to make the threading?
    The threading will be cut on the lathe

I love those copper shrouds! Are you hand cutting them? That's a lot of work. Very nice. PS, this is a distraction from your personal build! I love the layered different metals look.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    I love those copper shrouds! Are you hand cutting them? That's a lot of work. Very nice. PS, this is a distraction from your personal build! I love the layered different metals look.
    Thanks! Yes I hand cut all the shrouds. My personal build is a spare time thing, I do about an hour of work on it every couple of days lol. I have 5 full custom commissions and another 5 sabers I'm altering or adding too in one way or another. This is why I don't have a saber of my own, I always feel like I'm stealing time away from other people's builds when I'm working on my own.

A few more updates on this one. Mill work on hilt and more refinement of the shrouds. Waiting on my hunk of solid brass to make the reveal chassis for this one.

More Soon, thanks for looking

That copper is just
    Last edited by Seth Skywalker; 09-13-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Skywalker View Post
    That copper is just
    Thanks, the client wants them highly polished. I'm considering trying to convince him to let me do a little flame treatement to the tip of the emitter first. I want this thing to look as realistic as possible

Quote Originally Posted by Jediseth View Post
    Looking awesome man!
    Thanks man