Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to make grooves (without mill or lathe)?

Blog Entries

I have the dremel press. Know what I use it for? Drilling plastic and holding the dremel for sanding at different angles. That thing has about as much rigidity as jello.
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    I have the dremel press. Know what I use it for? Drilling plastic and holding the dremel for sanding at different angles. That thing has about as much rigidity as jello.
    That is kinda true, not very sturdy at all. Even wobbles slightly when drilling holes fro my saber. Still might just test it on a scrap piece of metal anyways. For fun.

Ya I sort of figured it would be a jimmy rig job at best. I’ll bet you can build jigs and a stabilizer of sort and probably make it work. Sometimes it’s how good are you with your tool. Of course the right tool is always best. Lol Yes probably very light cuts one after another.

Or better yet build a mill for a Dremel. Hey just shooting out ideas, who knows if they are good.
    Last edited by Jediseth; 07-08-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    They should make a nice solid one, but I guess it’s not really the purpose of a Dremel.

Quote Originally Posted by k6gad View Post
    The problem here with a Dremel drill press set-up is you have no movable table. The way a mill works is the cutter rotates in place and the part you are cutting moves. If you had a lathe you could buy a milling set up for your cross slide.

Can you make a jig from wood and use the Dremel as a router? Making small shallow cuts at a time?
    Attachment 16792
    Yeah, you're right. I need to get a mill and lathe.

As someone who has done various unique grips own my sabers, a lathe and mill would be essential, unless you are talking MHS, then an idea, a chat with Tim, and exchanging some money usually works real well.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    As someone who has done various unique grips own my sabers, a lathe and mill would be essential, unless you are talking MHS, then an idea, a chat with Tim, and exchanging some money usually works real well.
    Absolutely agree here! MHS parts are amazing..very well designed and beautifully made. Easy enough to change some of the cosmetics without ruining the part as well. Until you buy a proper 3 in 1 machine or a mill...that’s your best bet...IMHO