Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My first MHS build with custom crystal chamber

Smile My first MHS build with custom crystal chamber

Figured I'd share some pictures of my very first MHS lightsaber build. The hilt is 'black chrome' with trim rings on every seam and I also used the "Double Male Extension with Slots Style 2" to make a crystal chamber.

Here's a picture of the empty hilt on display before I started work on the internals

bfLVUa8.jpg

And here's the lightsaber after I finished cramming all my stuff in. It uses a 18650 Li-Ion, NEC Spark2, SF 12W Cyan led, and the 'Mantle of the Force' soundfont from LordBlako.

vTmC7KZ.jpg
    vTIZXsZ.jpg

Here's an older WIP picture while I was working on my crystal chamber. Only parts missing in that picture are the 3 small 3mm brass tubes that I was still waiting on at the time. Once I got the brass tubes inserted I used them to run the wires through (SF 12W Cyan unit only needed 3 wires) so there's no visible wires running through the chamber. I bought the radiator fins and baseplates from Skywampa (a UK seller on Etsy) while all the other stuff including crystal came from chinese vendors on Aliexpress.

jFbYLvY.jpg

Now I know it's not as fancy as some designs I've seen people built but I'm still very happy with the results and extremely pleased with the quality and craftsmanship of TCSS.

DanakarComp1.jpgDanakarComp2.jpgDanakarComp3.jpg
    DanakarLightsaber2.jpgDanakarLightsaber3.jpg

UPDATE: I received some rotary kill keys from Shapeways today and after drilling out my original TCSS brass kill key and cutting the new one to length my saber can now be ignited without having to remove the kill key! I can just turn it like a knob to activate the saber.

Attachment 16762Attachment 16763

Bigger pictures here (because these forums sometimes make the uploaded pictures look tiny)

https://i.imgur.com/aQtTC4H.png
    https://i.imgur.com/h7P1lrr.png

Anyways, hope you guys like it!!

Danakar Endeel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Danakar Endeel; 06-25-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Very nice for #1! Go for #2!

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Blog Entries

Nice use of the trim rings to get something a bit more unique
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    Very nice for #1! Go for #2!
    Heh, I'd need to save some more money first but I am already checking out combinations in the MHS Builder.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Nice use of the trim rings to get something a bit more unique
    Thanks!

Yeah, I didn't like the idea of having visible seams between the parts or have my saber look too mundane and then I saw the trim rings in the shop. I hope TCSS will offer them in brass or anodized brass aluminium at some point though because I think that would look awesome too.

woooooow! Very nice, and I agree, those trim rings do look great. The double crystal looks awesome too! Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Skywalker View Post
    woooooow! Very nice, and I agree, those trim rings do look great. The double crystal looks awesome too! Welcome to the forums.
    Thanks! I found a vendor from China who was selling 'titanium quartz' crystals on a string for around $12 so I had 50-60 crystals of various lengths to choose from (although some were just 10-20mm shards). Of the ones that would fit snugly between the bezels this one had an extra smaller piece protruding from it. Almost looked like it came straight out of the crystal cave on Dantooine (KotOR) so I just had to use it. The smaller crystal protruding from the main crystal also gives it a very nice effect when the saber is active.

Pale-Blue-Titanium-Quartz-Points-Natural-Quartz-Crystal-Strands-Crystal-Points-Raw-Crystal-Quart.jpg
    Last edited by Danakar Endeel; 06-24-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Here's a compilation from various angles of my lightsaber. I'll also add it to the OP

DanakarComp1.jpgDanakarComp2.jpgDanakarComp3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Danakar Endeel; 06-24-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Nice! However you should turn on your saber if you have your blade plug installed, will look so much nicer then. Especially for the pics.

Nice saber, better than my first crystal chamber. Great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Skywalker View Post
    Nice! However you should turn on your saber if you have your blade plug installed, will look so much nicer then. Especially for the pics.
    Fair enough, I took 2 more pictures with the lightsaber active and blade plug installed

DanakarLightsaber2.jpgDanakarLightsaber3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jediseth View Post
    Nice saber, better than my first crystal chamber. Great work!
    Thanks! I checked through a ton of images of crystal chambers before I even dared to try making one.
    Initially I wanted to simply go with some aluminium chassis discs from TCSS and work with those but then I saw Skywampa's stuff on Etsy. I still bought a Chassis Disc 3 and Chassis Disc 5 just in case though