Thread: RGB FoC question

Default RGB FoC question

Evening guys,

I’m installing my first RGB led on to an NB4 board, and I’m stuck on which die to wire to the FoC connection to the board if I want to generate a white FoC. Can the white only be achieved through mixing in the config files, in which case it makes no difference which die I wire to where?

Typically I’ve previously installed a RRW or a GGW led, so I’ve never had to deal with this quandary.

Apologies if this issue has been addressed in a previous post, but I’ve scoured the forum but couldn’t find anything..

First off, to get RGB on a NBIV, you also need a PEX board for the 3rd diode on the star. I wire mine R,G,B. Red to 1, G to 2, and Blue to 3 on the PEX. You can achieve a whitish FOC by running all 3 diodes in the FDrive configs. 1000, 1000, 1000.

You should see the diagrams for the PEX in the instruction manual for how to hook it up to pad 3. You can't run your diode right off that pad, or you shouldn't. Then there's no mosfet on it. Get the PEX.

Good luck.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Hi Tom and thanks for your advice. As a relative newcomer I’m still learning what’s possible with what hardware, so your help is really appreciated.

I’m gutted I need another board ‘coz the space I’ve got to work with is already really tight (approx 30mm between the end of the chassis and the led heatsink, with a large switch inbetween that space). I’m not going to get it in this build, but will definitely look in to it for the next.

The PEX is the size of your little fingernail.

Quote Originally Posted by S.J.Horan View Post
    Hi Tom and thanks for your advice. As a relative newcomer I’m still learning what’s possible with what hardware, so your help is really appreciated.

I’m gutted I need another board ‘coz the space I’ve got to work with is already really tight (approx 30mm between the end of the chassis and the led heatsink, with a large switch inbetween that space). I’m not going to get it in this build, but will definitely look in to it for the next.
    You can fit it. Someday I may try to make my own "PEX", I think I can shrink it down even more. I have my own supply of mosfets. But yes, as Greenie said, the PEX is very small:

Here is a pic of a PEX mounted onto an NBIV:

Make it happen Captain! It'll fit.

Tom

Oh my....it looks so much bigger when it’s sat on it’s own. I’m staggered it’s so small - putting it on the NB really puts it in to perspective, and I might add, a stroke of genius!

Thank Tom and Greenie. I’m gonna have a re-look in to this now. Maybe, just maybe.....��

So, pad 3 is underneath the board, opposite of the SD Holder. The blue wire on the PEX goes underneath to pad 3, routed so it doesn't interfere with getting the SD card in and out. The white wire is to GND on the NBIV on the underside. That way I left all the pads facing the camera clean to receive saber wires. The tinned pad on the PEX gets my negative lead from my blue diode on the tri-cree. I make that a blue wire. When I do R,G,B (in-hilt LED) I use Orange wire for red diode, green wire for green diode, blue wire for blue diode, and red wire for all my positives. I common the positives on the star so I'm only running one red wire out of the star. Resistors on my negative legs. That is just how I build. Less clutter.

Tom