Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Official Saber Build Ideas!

Default First Official Saber Build Ideas!

Hey guys! I have been following and researching this site for a couple years now and finally found the time and money to build my dream saber! I would love everyone's input and questions. I think I got the wiring right. I think I just forgot to add the positive and negative wire connections between the board and the recharge port. The two wires in the chassis concept going up are for the main led and an accent green inside the choke.

chassis design with wires.jpgLightsaber wiring diagram.jpgParts list.

Chassis discs to match parts.
    Green Lux
    NBv4
    3.7v lithium
    Green momentary switch
    Recharge port
    3.4v micro motor
    20A micro PWM
    28mm premium speaker
    2 "breathing" green 3v LEDs

I am not a wiring expert and an still in my learning stage. Not 100 percent sure but I think everything looks in order, the only thing I don’t think will work is using two accent leds. I think it can only support one. Any ways welcome to the forums!

I’m guessing a little here, as it looks like you have the 3.3v (18mA max) pad wired to go to the Accent Led, AND to the micro PWM.
    With two items on the same circut, and an 18mA max from the pad, you would be splitting the 18mA between the two, which I don’t think would work well for either item.
    You can always drive the motor (depending on the power needs) off a circut from the battery (after the Recharge Port).
    Speaking of recharge port, what kind will you use?
    If from TCSS, they have 3 posts. One a sharred positive (to the board and battery), one dedicated post direct to the board negative, and a third direct to the battery negative. In that wiring configuration, the RC port will cut power to the board when the charger is inserted (isolating the battery on a circut, and NOT charging with any circut to the board).
    It doesn’t look like you have the RC port in your diagram wired that way.

More importantly what is all that going into??
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

So all of this is fitting into the main body plus an extension. I'll go back through my wiring and repost the changes. The biggest problem I have right now is the motor is too fast. I'm using a PWM that was intended for vape mods with a 10k pot. I tried to perform a proof of concept, but the motor wouldn't slow down at all. Do I need a different pot? If so, higher or lower resistance? Also it is the TCSS recharge port.

Lightsaber wiring diagram.jpg

Here is the updated diagram with the motor being powered by the 3.7v after the recharge port.

What is the motor even for?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    What is the motor even for?
    The Crystal is going to rotate in the chamber if I can figure out the correct way to regulate it.

I've seen it done, I look forward to seeing how you pull it off. From what I've seen slower motors tend to be larger motors.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    I've seen it done, I look forward to seeing how you pull it off. From what I've seen slower motors tend to be larger motors.
    Yeah but the large motors won't fit and require more voltage than what I already have set up :/ I'm researching the correct potentiometer to attach to my pwm