Thread: My latest design

Default My latest design

Figured since I can't place this in the contest after all, I might as well start a thread here and share what I've done so far.

A few months back, I decided it was time to build a custom hilt again as I'd been doing alot of of replica hilts.

Came up with this:
    WLZoe5.jpg

U4Po5t.jpg

I wanted to do something a bit different with it this time, so instead of a leather wrap hilt.............I went with wood.
    QhVste.jpg

After sampling a bit, a final stain was applied
    UBd7vX.jpg

Looking at different accent ideas:
    oaOTIh.jpg

RB5CeD.jpg

Installed brass cap tactile switches
    J1b9KO.jpg

At this time i was still messing with various ways to handle the leather wrap on the upper grip. At first I was looking at a Kota style wrap like near the emitter on a Kota style saber. Then I came across a tutorial for a Chinese grip wrap method:

zJY3jz.jpg

So this will be the pattern I do, once I practice it a few times to improve it that is.

Also you can see I've added a small sleeve ring just above the wooden grip to flush it out. That piece will be getting etched once i settle on a design there.

More pics as I get more done!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Warlock; 05-20-2018 at 03:56 AM.

Looks like this was made in kashyk, or by a Wookiee. I think lightsaber with wood always look very unique, and fits into the starwars universe. Great job! Just a question, is it comfortable to wield a saber with a choke or double choke?

Thanks for the kind words. I've put a blade in and practiced a few times with this and found it very comfortable. It's comfortable using two handed grip, single handed on lower or upper grips.

Good to know! I was never sure if I should use a choke cause it could be uncomfortable or impractical. Chokes are not my favorite but for some lightsabers (like yours) it really looks great. Thanks!

Well, I've finished up the leather wrap, cut to length and tucked the ends, tapped brass screws to secure the shroud ring. Etching is still on hold. (Need wife to assit with her Cricut that I have no clue how to use lol ) Then I'm just awaiting the teensysaber boards to ship and then I'll begin electronics.

QlR8AM.jpg

Glad to see it's coming along nicely. Looking good!

Is that adhesive backed wood veneer? When it is stained it looks so cool!

Yes it is. Had to glue it though. The heat glue didn't stick at all

Blog Entries

Very cool. The brass trim on the leather is a nice touch.