Thread: Battery question

Default Battery question

Hey everyone. I'm just curious about these 18650 batteries sold by the customer saber shop and other batteries like EBL brand 18650's. I had a set already of 3.7 3000mah batteries by EBL. The saber I built is using one of the Trustfire 18650's sold in the TCSS which is the 2400mah with the battery holder. Originally I had thought "cool, I'll have some extra batteries to swap out". The weird thing is that the EBL's are shorter by about 1cm, so they don't actually fit into the battery holder.

Is there any real difference here? Or are just some 18650's just a different sizes, and if so, for what reason?? When I build another saber down the road it might be nice to know which batteries are actually the standard size.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Are the EBL's PCB protected? That is generally why some are shorter/longer.. depends on if they are PCB protected or not. If the EBL are not protected then you should not be using them.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

On the battery it says "discharging protection circuit". Is that the same thing or are they just playing with semantics?

This is a link to the same kind I've got - this one comes in a charging bundle, but it has a up close shot of the battery with that same verbiage on it.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

From a quick google search they seem to be somewhat protected but could be missing some key protection like venting,etc.. These have also been tested to only be around 2000mAh.. This is all based off some quick google searches which of course should be taken with a grain of salt.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Thanks Tim I appreciate the quick response! The best answer appears to be stick to the Trustfires :P

Are you sure you have 18650 EBL batteries? I use those and they are at most a milimeter or so shorter. I just bend the negative tab out with a pair of needle nose pliers and it scoots the battery up into the positive contact. If that isn't enough you could pool some solder on both ends of the battery to take up even more slack.