Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Scratch removal methods

Ha! I'm so stupid! Thanks Greenie.

No dude, just young. It’s an old fashioned saying/phrase. I’m old

Wow! Polish works grrreeaaat! Very shiny! The pics don't do justice.
    image.jpg
    Until I was removing scratches from the shroud. I was happily sanding away until I noticed that there seems to be an extra coating, wich I only sanded away at one spot.
    image.jpg
    What can I do about that? Do I have to make a new shroud?
    Attached Images Attached Images

You don't have to make a new shroud. All tcss sleeve material has that finish/coating. You just need to carefully sand off the rest of it and repolish. No biggie.

Edit: when I'm grinding off that coating I use a mouse sander with fine sandpaper so it has a nice flat plane and takes off very little metal at once. You don't want to breathe that metal powder, so be safe. A belt sander might work for that too.

Edit#2: I use my mouse sander because I don't have a lathe, but that may be easier because that will preserve the "grain" of the metal, ya know? Nice and uniform spun finish.

Those polished pieces look great. Good luck with your shroud!
    Last edited by Vereous; 05-27-2018 at 06:04 PM.
    Player: I feel your anger, master.
    Darth Baras: A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!!

Whew! That's a relief. Thanks Vereous. Might I ask what grit of sandpaper do you use for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Skywalker View Post
    Whew! That's a relief. Thanks Vereous. Might I ask what grit of sandpaper do you use for that?
    I'll check and get back to you later tonight!
    Player: I feel your anger, master.
    Darth Baras: A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!!

Got a second question you guys. After I polished my saber, I noticed as soon as I touch or handle my saber it leaves marks and finger prints. How can I keep my saber clean and shiny after polishing?

Applying a clear coat will help, but you're gonna get visible fingerprints on a highly polished saber. No way that I've seen to eliminate that.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Oh well, geuse I'll just rub it with a moist microfiber cloth each time after use. Wearing gloves while dueling with my saber should also help, gloves will be part of my costume anyways.

Edit: would 400 grit sand paper work? That's the finest I've got.
    Last edited by Seth Skywalker; 05-28-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Applying a clear coat will help, but you're gonna get visible fingerprints on a highly polished saber. No way that I've seen to eliminate that.
    A “shelf” saber collects less fingerprints...
    ��