Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Scratch removal methods

Default Scratch removal methods

I got some scratches on my saber during the shroud work and fitting, and wondering what methods you have for removing scratches from aluminum, and getting it to look pretty much the same as it did from the beginning. I know Mad Cow has already made a video of how he does it, I Just wanted to know what different methods you guys use. Thanks in advance.

If it's small enough (like a burr from my shroud) I like to use 1000 grit wet/dry automotive paper, I prefer it wet with a little water, then I shine it up with the 3000 grit paper (the one that's basically a rough sponge, not really paper).

Conversely... I've also etched and burned and roughed up and weathered a whole saber to hide a single slip from my Dremel.

Weathering a saber is pretty rad. Easier to maintain in my opinion. Shiny sabers show more fingerprints, and I for one can't let a saber sit on the shelf without playing with it. (And I grow tired of shining it everytime I'm done.)

That's my two credits.
    Player: I feel your anger, master.
    Darth Baras: A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!!

Thanks Vereous! I prefer " clean" sabers as that is what most of them are in the Star Wars movies. Some sabers do look better weatherd though. And some day I might make a really weathered and beat up lightsaber.

Before building my most recent, heavily weathered and grimy saber, I joked that I was polishing it up just so I could rough it up again. Tool marks and scratches don't always match what one would expect from natural damage after all.

Plan B: The Gentleman

I didn't post it here since it seemed weird posting an entirely scrap build here that didn't use any TCSS sold parts.

I'm afraid my only experience removing scratches is a buffing wheel. As for weathering, I've seen people take to whacking the item in question with chains to get realistic scratches. You could also use a 9 volt and a bit of spare wire to arc electricity to get realistic burn marks on the hilt. Eh, just ideas really. I'm sure there are other weathering techniques others here could give they actually have experience with.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    Before building my most recent, heavily weathered and grimy saber, I joked that I was polishing it up just so I could rough it up again. Tool marks and scratches don't always match what one would expect from natural damage after all.

Plan B: The Gentleman

I didn't post it here since it seemed weird posting an entirely scrap build here that didn't use any TCSS sold parts.
    I saw that one on your website cool looking pistol/blaster!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenXp View Post
    I'm afraid my only experience removing scratches is a buffing wheel. As for weathering, I've seen people
    take to whacking the item in question with chains to get realistic scratches. You could also use a 9 volt and a bit of spare wire to arc electricity to get realistic burn marks on the hilt. Eh, just ideas really. I'm sure there are other weathering techniques others here could give they actually have experience with.
    The burn mark idea actually sounds really cool, and I think I will try that on a different saber. But for this one I want it to be as polished and clean as possible.

This'll be my test piece as it already has a lot of scratches, scuff marks, etc
    image.jpg
    And I will try removing the scratches from these areas after.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    I wonder why the pictures turned upside down.
    Last edited by Seth Skywalker; 05-18-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Alright, I steel wooled the pummel and it definitely shines things up a bit. Now I will try polishing it with the dremmel.

Finished using the polishing tool with the dremel, here are the results
    image.jpg

Very nice.

Hhhmmmm, I don't know if I should try removing scratches on the other areas the finish would be a lot less shiny. What do you guys think should I give it a go? Also do any of you know how to polish it and make it as shiny as new?

Thanks by the way, RavenXP