Thread: TCSS Blade Film vs LED Blade Diffuser

Default TCSS Blade Film vs LED Blade Diffuser

Hi All,

I want to start looking at making a NeoPixel Blade in a few months and I am starting to create my parts list. I am not quite clear on the difference between blade diffuser http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/40...ades-P449.aspx and Blade Film http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Blade-film-P197.aspx. Reading the description for both,I think if I am planning on using the 1" Thin walled Trans White PolyC I will need the 1 inch foam diffuser for my NeoPixels and then wrap that with the Blade Diffuser. If I was making a blade for traditional in hilt LED I would need the Trans White PolyC and the Blade Film only. Am I in the right ball Park?

Thanks in Advance

Actually the difference between the two diffuser materials can be seen in the complete blade sections. The blade diffuser is the TCSS style, and the film would be the Corbin style. From what I can see of the raw materials anyway, hopefully someone that has more experience with both types of diffusers will chime in.

The “blade diffuser” is a thin trans white plastic tube that slides inside the blade tube.
    I believe it offers better diffusion when building “straw hat led” string blades (typically 5mm leds). Those string blades had a tendancy to have a corn cob look when traditionally diffused (with film or cellophane).

Foam diffuser is a hollow foam tube used to diffuse string or strip blades, it is what the toy (string) lightsabers used to use (and may still do). It diffuses light, and offers some protection to the fragile sting and semi-fragile strip blades.

Film is just that, a plastic film, that when rolled up (a “wrap”) and inserted inside the blade tube, acts to diffuse the light from an in hilt led. Doesn’t do a good of a job diffusing string or strip blades.

The “Corbin Style” complete blades use alternating wraps of different film diffuser, to give a look of a “inner core”.
    I believe the “TCSS style complete blades just use one type of film, and not the diffuser tube.

For neopixel strips you want a 1in clear thin walled, TCSS blade diffuser, couple feet of clear cellophane, and the closed cell foam tube they sell. That is the best(imo) to diffused strips and how I diffuse all my blades

Quote Originally Posted by bigkevin61 View Post

The “Corbin Style” complete blades use alternating wraps of different film diffuser, to give a look of a “inner core”.

I believe the “TCSS style complete blades just use one type of film, and not the diffuser tube.
    For the longest time, I wasn't all too sure what was what... then I started looking at the various items in the store, being sure to read the descriptions. Here's what I found on the "TCSS style show blade (thin wall) 1" OD" ---

Complete LED "TCSS style" Show blade.
    These blades are built using a 1"OD thin walled Polycarbonate tube.
    They feature our standard diffuser tube.
    ----
    Further digging thru these forums as well as the forums at fx-sabers.com tells me the diffuser tube sold here (either by itself or included in the tcss-style blade) is made of nylon.
    Tonight is the first I've ever seen a claim that a corbin blade has alternating layers (of anything) when everything else says it is some type of stiff (some say almost paper like) film, with horizontal scoring (aka: cuts, scratches, whatever ya want to call it) for the purpose of:
    1) creating a central core of laser-like light along with a bit of a bright flare near the base of the blade (ie: original trilogy)... &
    2) simulating the extend / retract visual effects seen in movies and string blade type sabers... although some people can see it better than others.

By contrast, the nylon diffuser tube simply works to create a more evenly lit (base to tip) saber blade, closer in appearance to the prequel trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinMill View Post
    For the longest time, I wasn't all too sure what was what... then I started looking at the various items in the store, being sure to read the descriptions. Here's what I found on the "TCSS style show blade (thin wall) 1" OD" ---

Complete LED "TCSS style" Show blade.
    These blades are built using a 1"OD thin walled Polycarbonate tube.
    They feature our standard diffuser tube.
    ----
    Further digging thru these forums as well as the forums at fx-sabers.com tells me the diffuser tube sold here (either by itself or included in the tcss-style blade) is made of nylon.
    Tonight is the first I've ever seen a claim that a corbin blade has alternating layers (of anything) when everything else says it is some type of stiff (some say almost paper like) film, with horizontal scoring (aka: cuts, scratches, whatever ya want to call it) for the purpose of:
    1) creating a central core of laser-like light along with a bit of a bright flare near the base of the blade (ie: original trilogy)... &
    2) simulating the extend / retract visual effects seen in movies and string blade type sabers... although some people can see it better than others.

By contrast, the nylon diffuser tube simply works to create a more evenly lit (base to tip) saber blade, closer in appearance to the prequel trilogy.
    I stand corrected, you are correct with the “TCSS” style using the diffusion tube.
    My bad, I mis-remember a “standard blade” description from another source.

I could have swore I read that there are multiple (at least 2) kinds of film in a “Corbin” style blade....

Quote Originally Posted by Meatsweats View Post
    For neopixel strips you want a 1in clear thin walled, TCSS blade diffuser, couple feet of clear cellophane, and the closed cell foam tube they sell. That is the best(imo) to diffused strips and how I diffuse all my blades
    ...do you sand your 1in clear blade in that setup?
    Player: I feel your anger, master.
    Darth Baras: A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!!

I don’t, no.