Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Seth Skywalkers first lightsaber

Yay! Tapping and drilling set arriving tomorrow via amazon. I will be doing tht tomorrow!

Blog Entries

Looking good
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Skywalker View Post
    Do you fellows think this is a good place to drill the blade retention screw hole?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I have found better success splitting the difference within the blade socket. I try to drill most of mine in about the middle of the blade socket. I have had to put some higher or lower as well. Sometimes, you can get a little wiggle, but most of the TCSS blade holders are milled pretty tight on the blades, so the set screw just holds the blade in. I think what you have is fine, but I think aesthetically, I'd put it further back and out of those "claws" on the emitter. Let them stand alone.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Looking good
    Thanks! Means a lot coming from you. I am a big fan of your DCLS-006le.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    I have found better success splitting the difference within the blade socket. I try to drill most of mine in about the middle of the blade socket. I have had to put some higher or lower as well. Sometimes, you can get a little wiggle, but most of the TCSS blade holders are milled pretty tight on the blades, so the set screw just holds the blade in. I think what you have is fine, but I think aesthetically, I'd put it further back and out of those "claws" on the emitter. Let them stand alone.

Tom
    I agree it would look better if the claws were on their own and I was actually planning on doing that, but don't you think blade will have less stability this way, than if I put it on the very base of the claw?

Also don't know what to do, some of the pics stopped working. I do not know how to fix that.

I agree it would look better if the claws were on their own and I was actually planning on doing that, but don't you think blade will have less stability this way, than if I put it on the very base of the claw?
    If you have your blade, see how tight it fits in the blade holder. There are SLIGHT variances in the polycarbonate tube Outer Diameter (within manufacturing tolerances). I’ve ordered tube direct from plastics supplier (bulk order), and from other saber shops (not mentioned here), and tube from TCSS, and they fit differently although they are all 1” tube.

If you have a “tight fit” moving the retention screw closer to the hilt (opposed to the middle or end of the holder), will NOT induce blade wiggle.

Also, what are you planning to use for your retention screw? A set screw is always an option, and if sized right, will give any blade holder a flush look (disadvantage is you need an alan wrench to remove your blade or blade plug).

There are also other tricks (like modifying the blade) if you are worried about secure retention.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkevin61 View Post
    If you have your blade, see how tight it fits in the blade holder. There are SLIGHT variances in the polycarbonate tube Outer Diameter (within manufacturing tolerances). I’ve ordered tube direct from plastics supplier (bulk order), and from other saber shops (not mentioned here), and tube from TCSS, and they fit differently although they are all 1” tube.

If you have a “tight fit” moving the retention screw closer to the hilt (opposed to the middle or end of the holder), will NOT induce blade wiggle.

Also, what are you planning to use for your retention screw? A set screw is always an option, and if sized right, will give any blade holder a flush look (disadvantage is you need an alan wrench to remove your blade or blade plug).

There are also other tricks (like modifying the blade) if you are worried about secure retention.
    Thanks for the quick reply! The blade does wiggle quite a bit in the blade socket, and this is the retention screw I will use
    image.jpg
    Sorry for the blurry pic.

Thanks for the quick reply! The blade does wiggle quite a bit in the blade socket, and this is the retention screw I will use
    image.jpg
    Sorry for the blurry pic.
    You using a “thin walled” or “thick walled” blade?

If the blade wiggles a bit now, having the screw twards the middle-ish is “better”.
    But like everything in life, nothing is set in stone.
    Just don’t place it extremely close to the LED module (like REALLY close), and you should be fine.

Personally, in my PVC sabers (whose inner diameter is slightly larger than 1”) unmodified “thin walled” blades tend to be REAL loose, and I set the led module a good 2.5+” back from the end of the “emitter”, and have the set screw right in the middle.
    These are NOT for mid to heavy dueling, but I wanted to be EXTRA careful, as they were gifts for others to use.

In my son’s MHS saber (in my signature) the set screw is middle-ish but closer to the led module, and he has a “thick walled” blade, that is just loose enough to slide in and out easily (no friction).
    CDDAF80D-6B23-4B90-BE39-AE9A198E453B.jpg
    I’ve done the “tree test” on the blade (full on whacked the tree) and blade and saber were fine.
    Last edited by bigkevin61; 05-12-2018 at 07:47 PM.

Thick walled blade.

Did some more work this evening, drilling switch and recharge port. It was rather difficult since I don't have a drill press. My alternative was clamping the section, and then using a regular drill for the holes. Happy how it turned out though. Here are pics.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I did run into a problem, the recharge port hole is drilled through the shroud material, so the recharge port is too short for me to be able to secure the nut on top. How should I secure the recharge port now?
    Last edited by Seth Skywalker; 05-12-2018 at 10:16 PM.

You could thread the holes through the hilt and shroud with the appropriate size tap but you would have to screw the recharge port from the inside which can be tricky. Or you could make the hole in the shroud large enough for the nut to fit through.