Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Seth Skywalkers first lightsaber

Spent the rest of the evening continuing on the shroud, alot of dremmeling and sanding. I also used the jewler saw. Here are the pics.
    [/URL][/IMG]

Now that I put it on I can see that it will definitely need to remove some more material. Let me know what you guys think!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Seth Skywalker; 05-12-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Did some refinement today and I realy like where this is heading to.

I think the shroud could be finished. Let me know what all of you guys think. Don’t be afraid to give criticism.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it looks awesome! I love the grips in the exposure. That looks cool with them up high. Very unique saber! I likey!

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Nice looking saber young Skywalker. Great work on the shroud.

Greenie

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    I think it looks awesome! I love the grips in the exposure. That looks cool with them up high. Very unique saber! I likey!

Tom
    Thanks Tom! Your opinion matters alot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Nice looking saber young Skywalker. Great work on the shroud.

Greenie
    “Young skywalker” I think I like that. Glad that such an excellent saber smith as you likes it! I actually am proud of how the shroud turned out. I think drilling holes will be next.

Do you fellows think this is a good place to drill the blade retention screw hole?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Seth Skywalker; 05-12-2018 at 12:11 PM.

That location could work. I built a stunt saber for a relative not too long ago using the same blade holder
    *powder coated in black wrinkle* and iirc, I had TCSS drill/tap the retention hole just a bit lower than shown
    on your pic. My thinking was: thicker material - more meat (threads) for the retention screw to grab hold
    of / less chance of the hole getting stripped out. Finally, the screw I chose is the TCSS red acetal thumb
    screw since she wanted a dark side / sith inspired saber.

You've got quite a future ahead of you. Like Tom said, the fact you're fortunate enough to have access to the equipment you do and to have such an experienced person to learn from is awesome. Soak it all in! You're also very well-spoken for your age. That's gonna take you far as well!

That being said I love the lightsaber! It looks well designed and the shroud work is impressive.

If I had one recommendation however, the only one would be something that I personally have been having a hard time planning for with my first build and it's the space inside the hilt that you'll be working with. Especially with a chassis. The inner diameter of that grenade section is pretty tight from what I understand, and based on the layout of your hilt, I'm assuming that's where you're planning on putting everything. I'm pretty sure TCSS carries chassis disks that fit inside those sections, but it's gonna be a TIGHT squeeze both length and width and your cram-fu will need to be impressive if my zero years of experience counts for anything.l

If I'm mistaken I apologize. Hopefully one of these guys with a bazillion lightsaber builds under their belt will step in and correct me

Quote Originally Posted by TwinMill View Post
    That location could work. I built a stunt saber for a relative not too long ago using the same blade holder
    *powder coated in black wrinkle* and iirc, I had TCSS drill/tap the retention hole just a bit lower than shown
    on your pic. My thinking was: thicker material - more meat (threads) for the retention screw to grab hold
    of / less chance of the hole getting stripped out. Finally, the screw I chose is the TCSS red acetal thumb
    screw since she wanted a dark side / sith inspired saber.
    Thanks for the help! Yesterday I was studying the blade holder for the correct place to drill the retention screw and was thinking I should place it a bit lower than I had it in the pic. Trying to find the right balance, if I put the blade retention screw higher up the blade will be more stable but if I put it too high, it probably will ruin either the hole or bend the blade holder a little. Could you show me some pictures of the lightsaber you made that would be really helpful!
    Quote Originally Posted by djmehs View Post
    You've got quite a future ahead of you. Like Tom said, the fact you're fortunate enough to have access to the equipment you do and to have such an experienced person to learn from is awesome. Soak it all in! You're also very well-spoken for your age. That's gonna take you far as well!

That being said I love the lightsaber! It looks well designed and the shroud work is impressive.

If I had one recommendation however, the only one would be something that I personally have been having a hard time planning for with my first build and it's the space inside the hilt that you'll be working with. Especially with a chassis. The inner diameter of that grenade section is pretty tight from what I understand, and based on the layout of your hilt, I'm assuming that's where you're planning on putting everything. I'm pretty sure TCSS carries chassis disks that fit inside those sections, but it's gonna be a TIGHT squeeze both length and width and your cram-fu will need to be impressive if my zero years of experience counts for anything.l

If I'm mistaken I apologize. Hopefully one of these guys with a bazillion lightsaber builds under their belt will step in and correct me
    Thanks a lot for the compliments! I think( and hope!)it will fit. I have every thing test fitted in there. The speaker has space in the pommel and there is room in the grenade section for both the lithium ion battery and the nano. Switch and recharge port on the top section in the shroud covered area.
    Last edited by Seth Skywalker; 05-11-2018 at 08:18 PM.