Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Seth Skywalkers first lightsaber

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Skywalker View Post
    Sorry I didn't write it correctly. What I meant wether the screw head is parallel with the blade or with the blade holder( resting flat against the blade holder), since the blade holder sort of has a "triangle" shape. Sorry if my question seems silly.
    Are you asking if the hole is drilled perpendicular to the interior of the blade holder (ie, 90 degrees from the blade, along its length),
    OR
    Are you asking if the hole is drilled perpendicular to the exterior slope of the blade holder (or 90 degrees from the surface of the holder, along its length)?

Perpendicular! That was the word I was looking for! I was wondering wich of the two you mentioned he used or I should use. Thanks!

All the work I have from TCSS, the holes are perpendicular to the interior of the part. I believe Tim has advanced enough machines to drill, to make sure a good hole is drilled before the tapping process.

Another update. Drilled the retention screw, still not sure if I should use this retention screw or a set screw.
    image.jpg
    Thanks bigkevin61 and TwinMill for your pics and help

I always use a recessed screw for blade retention. Down side of that is I always have to carry the hex wrench for it. Wonder if I can find a bit that'll work for my swiss army knife, carry it around that way.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenXp View Post
    I always use a recessed screw for blade retention. Down side of that is I always have to carry the hex wrench for it. Wonder if I can find a bit that'll work for my swiss army knife, carry it around that way.
    Cool and practical idea, RavenXP! What type of retention screw do you think would look best on this saber?

I also noticed when I fasten the retention screw, the blade still wobbles a bit. What should I do?

Cool and practical idea, RavenXP! What type of retention screw do you think would look best on this saber?

I also noticed when I fasten the retention screw, the blade still wobbles a bit. What should I do?
    Is the screw long enough? Does it come out enough to really cinch the blade?
    I’v ordered “too short” before.
    The good news, local hardware stores often have hex head 8-32 thread screws of various lengths, so you can get one cheap to confirm the correct length.

I didn't shorten the screw, it still is way too long and sticks out. Maybe that is why it wobbles?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Seth Skywalker; 05-16-2018 at 04:33 PM.

This is the screw I use http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/8-...crew-P108.aspx

I just ordered one of these set screws in black and 1/4" instead. I'm thinking I should put in a a second retention screw below the claw next to the one that already has a retention screw, since the blade only wobbles left and right from the direction this retention screw is pointing.