Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Seth Skywalkers first lightsaber

The problem about threading that hole is I was stupid, and drilled the hole before I measured how thick the material of the shroud and mhs section together. So the hole is already to big to be threaded now. Would you rather suggest drilling a larger hole through the shroud for the nut to fit in, or drill a larger hole through the mhs section for the recharge port to fit in higher up? A minor problem about drilling a larger hole is that during the drilling process, the material around the hole sort of got fused together. It would be a little difficult to remove the shroud now.

Might be easier to drill the shroud, a hole just big enough to let the nut pass and thread onto the charge port.
    I think it'd look pretty nice, too. As for a photo of the saber I made, maybe I can pry it outta the hands of my
    "customer"... at least long enough to snap a pic or 2. Don't expect anything too fancy though, my camera is
    just a cheap 5 megapixel H.P. Photosmart that's at least a few years old... was part of a $99 W*M bundle that
    also included a compact color photo printer.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    You could thread the holes through the hilt and shroud with the appropriate size tap but you would have to screw the recharge port from the inside which can be tricky. Or you could make the hole in the shroud large enough for the nut to fit through.
    Thank you so much for your help Grennie! I decided to to do just that, and it worked! Here is the pic. Sorry it's blurry.

image.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinMill View Post
    Might be easier to drill the shroud, a hole just big enough to let the nut pass and thread onto the charge port.
    I think it'd look pretty nice, too. As for a photo of the saber I made, maybe I can pry it outta the hands of my
    "customer"... at least long enough to snap a pic or 2. Don't expect anything too fancy though, my camera is
    just a cheap 5 megapixel H.P. Photosmart that's at least a few years old... was part of a $99 W*M bundle that
    also included a compact color photo printer.
    Thanks twinmill! It would be very helpful if you could manage to take a picture of that blade holder.

Here is an update put in a screw to hold the shroud in place. Turned out good but not perfect. I drilled the hole from a slightly different angle. Oh well, here are the pics.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Pictures as promised...
    First showing the hole in the blade holder
    001.jpg

Second picture with retention screw in place
    002.jpg

Thanks TwinMill! Very helpful! I’m debating wether I should use the retention screw I showed in the pic on page 3 or a set screw. I have a feeling it would look too knobby and less sleek than if I use a set screw.

I have a question TwinMill. Did you drill the hole diagonal with the blade or with the blade holder? What do you guys think would work better?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Skywalker View Post
    Thank you so much for your help Grennie! I decided to to do just that, and it worked! Here is the pic. Sorry it's blurry.

image.jpg
    Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Skywalker View Post
    I have a question TwinMill. Did you drill the hole diagonal with the blade or with the blade holder? What do you guys think would work better?
    Not quite sure what you mean exactly, maybe it looks diagonal due to the angle of the photo... And I may have mentioned before... (not 100% sure) but the drilling / tapping was done by someone at TCSS HQ. Whether it was Tim or one of his employees, I don't know & maybe never will since I don't want to waste their time with what I feel is a silly question.

Sorry I didn't write it correctly. What I meant wether the screw head is parallel with the blade or with the blade holder( resting flat against the blade holder), since the blade holder sort of has a "triangle" shape. Sorry if my question seems silly.