Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NBV3 vs V4

Default NBV3 vs V4

Have a chance to buy a saber with the V3 installed. Is it worth it to upgrade it to a V4, or are the features between the two not sufficient to justify the upgrade?

Better motion sensitivity, color mixing, and an additional font on the NBIV. I think its worth it, but it depends upon whether or not you are happy with it as is. Good luck.

TOm

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

NB v3 doesn’t need a PEX for FOC, but other than that, the NB v4 can do a bit more, if you choose, including pixel blades.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkevin61 View Post
    NB v3 doesn’t need a PEX for FOC, but other than that, the NB v4 can do a bit more, if you choose, including pixel blades.
    V4 doesnt either? Or did you mean the V4 doesnt need PEx for FoC?

Quote Originally Posted by PCModulus View Post
    V4 doesnt either? Or did you mean the V4 doesnt need PEx for FoC?
    Sorry, I wrote that and didn't read it back to make sure it made sense.

The NBv3 has 2 standard LED configurations:
    A single Main LED off the "High-Power LED Pad L-"
    OR
    A Tri-LED in which you could wire TWO of the 3 LED's in parallel off the "High-Power LED Pad L-", AND you could wire the 3rd LED off the "FOC LED pad L-"without of use of a PEX (not needing a PEX for FOC was a change from the NBv2, and a welcome change!).

The NBv4 now has 3 pads, has 3 standard LED configurations:
    A single Main LED off the "High-Power LED Pad L1-"
    OR
    A Tri-LED in which you could wire TWO of the 3 LED's in parallel off the "High-Power LED Pad L1-", and the 3rd LED off the "High-Power LED Pad L1-"without of use of a PEX, in which you can use as FOC.
    OR
    A Tri-LED in which you could wire ONE of the LEDs off the "High-Power LED Pad L1-", the SECOND off the "High-Power LED Pad L2-", and the THIRD off the "3rd Channel Remote PEX" pad, allowing the board to do "Color Mixing", which includes configuring FOC.

From the NBv4 Manual:
    "The 3rd channel of the board controls an external and remote Power Extender and is required only if 3 channel color settings are required, or to drive an more important load. A single color LED with a white Flash on Clash (BBW tri-cree for instance) could be wired with the 2 identical dice on the first channel (L1-) while the FoC die goes to the second channel on L2-"

So like Tom said, the NBv4 has better components, and can do "more" (like control 3 separate color channels, or control Neopixels).

Quote Originally Posted by bigkevin61 View Post
    Sorry, I wrote that and didn't read it back to make sure it made sense.

The NBv3 has 2 standard LED configurations:
    A single Main LED off the "High-Power LED Pad L-"
    OR
    A Tri-LED in which you could wire TWO of the 3 LED's in parallel off the "High-Power LED Pad L-", AND you could wire the 3rd LED off the "FOC LED pad L-"without of use of a PEX (not needing a PEX for FOC was a change from the NBv2, and a welcome change!).

The NBv4 now has 3 pads, has 3 standard LED configurations:
    A single Main LED off the "High-Power LED Pad L1-"
    OR
    A Tri-LED in which you could wire TWO of the 3 LED's in parallel off the "High-Power LED Pad L1-", and the 3rd LED off the "High-Power LED Pad L1-"without of use of a PEX, in which you can use as FOC.
    OR
    A Tri-LED in which you could wire ONE of the LEDs off the "High-Power LED Pad L1-", the SECOND off the "High-Power LED Pad L2-", and the THIRD off the "3rd Channel Remote PEX" pad, allowing the board to do "Color Mixing", which includes configuring FOC.

From the NBv4 Manual:
    "The 3rd channel of the board controls an external and remote Power Extender and is required only if 3 channel color settings are required, or to drive an more important load. A single color LED with a white Flash on Clash (BBW tri-cree for instance) could be wired with the 2 identical dice on the first channel (L1-) while the FoC die goes to the second channel on L2-"

So like Tom said, the NBv4 has better components, and can do "more" (like control 3 separate color channels, or control Neopixels).
    That makes more sense lol, i was still mostly asleep when i read that yesterday and i could NOT make sense of it lol.

Question RE: NB-V4...If you wire a RGB LED to pads L1, L2, L3 what are the standard parameters? What I want to know is a particular color is associated with each pad and sound font? Switching sound fonts changes the color? Or does this have to be done in the software configuration?

It would typically be RGB but that's just convention. You can use any color LED so the color on the pads is irrelevant, although keeping to convention makes it easier to remember later if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by k6gad View Post
    Question RE: NB-V4...If you wire a RGB LED to pads L1, L2, L3 what are the standard parameters? What I want to know is a particular color is associated with each pad and sound font? Switching sound fonts changes the color? Or does this have to be done in the software configuration?
    You really need a PEX to wire another diode to Pad 3.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    You really need a PEX to wire another diode to Pad 3.
    Thanks Tom-
    Forgive my dense brain but exactly what the heck does the PEX do? I see the wiring diagram on page in the NB-V4 users manual but I'm not clear why it is needed. Does pad L3 not provide enough voltage?
    Last edited by k6gad; 06-18-2018 at 03:51 PM.