Thread: Metal stain? What?

Default Metal stain? What?

Hey all! I'm constantly researching new ways to weather and treat my saber parts, and I found some weird stuff that I want to run by you guys.

First I found some videos on YouTube of people using wood stain on metal. Now both videos made it seem like it wouldn't last on something that gets touched constantly like a handle, but that got me wondering if anyone's ever tried putting a clear coat of spray paint over wood stain on their metal handle?

So over the course of trying to research the above paragraphs question, I found this (in my opinion) weird product online called "alcohol inks metal stain". It looked like some kind of artsy-fartsy sculpturing project, but the concept intrigued me. Has anyone ever heard of that product or tried to use it on a saber?

And lastly, out of my own crazy curiosity, what's the weirdest thing you've ever used on a saber that turned out really nice? I don't necessarily mean found objects in something like a crystal chamber or chassis Construction, I think my question is more geared to the first people who ever tried to bake their lightsaber with oil.

I hope this Sparks a crazy weird discussion of obscure weathering methods. If not, oh well.

As always, may The Force be with you all.
    Last edited by Vereous; 04-28-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    Player: I feel your anger, master.
    Darth Baras: A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!!

Alcohol ink looks like it could produce some interesting translucent effects. Not sure how durable it would be. Might be nice for coloring crystal chamber parts, or other areas that don't get handled much.

I've not tried too many exotic things on my sabers. I have used pinstriping tape as a mask for painting multiple colors on a saber before. It worked out rather well.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thank you for your reply, Silver! I'm considering getting a bottle of the alcohol inks in green or blue to test on copper weathering, I think that would be really cool.

I took the plunge and bought a Minwax brand stain marker for a test run. I got Golden Oak 210B. My first impression is a good one. The aluminum almost looks like polished brass, and the stain self levels, so a little extra in your coats aren't that bad. I think I'm gonna need two or three coats for richer color. Maybe not. Then I assume a semigloss clear coat would turn out nice.
    IMG_20180501_115636.jpgIMG_20180501_115725.jpg
    Last edited by Vereous; 05-01-2018 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added pictures
    Player: I feel your anger, master.
    Darth Baras: A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!!