Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Nihilus II (MHS Nihilus-esque) Lightsaber

Quote Originally Posted by Vereous View Post
    I dig the video explanation! I'm a tactile learner, so sometimes reading it just doesn't cut it for me.

And I love the weathering. I assume Birchwood Casey, since youre setting it in the dishwasher?
    Yes birchwood casey's Aluminum Black. then I polish it off where I don't want it with 2000 grit, and use the heat of the dishwasher to set it. I usually have to go through 2-3 treatments to get it where I want it. This thing looks way better in person than on video. This is possibly going to be my favorite saber ever, judging from my chassis mock up. Its going to be pretty sick if I ever get the chance to finish it!

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    Yes birchwood casey's Aluminum Black. then I polish it off where I don't want it with 2000 grit, and use the heat of the dishwasher to set it. I usually have to go through 2-3 treatments to get it where I want it. This thing looks way better in person than on video. This is possibly going to be my favorite saber ever, judging from my chassis mock up. Its going to be pretty sick if I ever get the chance to finish it!

Tom
    Thanks for the video explenation! I am assuming that the switch will also be in the top section. But isn't the weathering going to get washed off if you put it in the dishwasher?
    Last edited by Seth Skywalker; 07-24-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Most of the weathering will remain and set in the dishwasher with the hot water/steam. There are 2 switches in the top section with brass hats via JediSeth's tutorial on that.

My chassis will have:

Saber Essentials 28mm Bass Speaker
    21700 Samsung 4800 mAh battery with 15A PCB external
    TeensySaber V3 sandwich
    OLED Display
    Red Bear BLE Nano II Blue Tooth Control,
    Neopixel accent rings
    Custom Crystal chamber with Darth Chasm conduit! and. lots of other greeblies!

I'm excited to finish this saber and get on with the LS6 install. But, getting the weathering right takes time. Its going in for second coat of Caseys's tonight. This saber is absolutely SICK in person right now, and I have much work left to do to make it better.

TOm

What? You don't run your lightsaber through your dishwasher? Get with the program!

Tom

Dude this is awesome! I can’t believe I missed this! I usually only looking at two of the topics on the forum, Misc topics and Gallery. I really need to look around more often. Do you have any idea what would happen to me if I tried to use the dishwasher? Lol,
    Great work Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by Jediseth View Post
    Dude this is awesome! I can’t believe I missed this! I usually only looking at two of the topics on the forum, Misc topics and Gallery. I really need to look around more often. Do you have any idea what would happen to me if I tried to use the dishwasher? Lol,
    Great work Tom!
    If you look at "what's new", you'll see all updated threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Skywalker View Post
    If you look at "what's new", you'll see all updated threads.

Thanks Seth, I didn’t know that.

Other 'distractions' keep me from finishing this saber. It was on my bench last night for about 5 minutes, then was once again interrupted. Its basically done, I just need to wire it up! It looks awesome. I even have a neopixel blade plug for it made. I can't wait to show it off. It has everything on it. Blue tooth, OLED, cyrstal chamber, accent ring, rc port, JediSeth switch hats. This thing is sick, definitely one of a kind. Dishwasher worked. Still have some more minor weathering to do on it.

Tom

Lots of inspirations on this saber. Shameem, Jediseth, Madcow, Darth Chasm, Zimmer, etc. I made a run at Nihilus with MHS last year, and I was really proud of my results on the first iteration. I'm really proud of this one too, and I have made some improvements. I've also made this one a tad more complex. It is running: Proffie, BLE Nano II BLue Tooth, and Neopixels. It technically has 5 neopixel blades being run independently by proffie.

Blade 1: Main Saber Blade 254 pixels in a 1" blade, 127 on each side. SMD Resistor for data line on blade adapter.
    Blade 2: Crystal Chamber, 1 neopixel. Runs pulsing sequences on idle, blade matches on ignition, including effects.
    Blade 3: Turbine Cycle Generator (behind crystal) 5 neopixels spool clockwise.
    Blade 4: Turbine Cycle Generator (behind crystal) 5 neopixels spool counter clockwise.
    Blade 5: Battery Level PLI, 5 neopixels run a battery level indicator PLI in a pulsing color coded that color is based on batter voltage. Green-Blue-Yellow-Red with Grn fully charged.

So, with the 2 switches (switch hats inspired by Jediseth), all the normal saber wires, this is a lot of wires running through the crystal chamber! Thank you Darth Chasm for the conduit tutorial, I used it. I needed it. My homemade chamber with Darth Chasm conduit:

Some photos of the mess of wires along the way:
    Wires routed, all rough length wires now in chassis.

Board prepped, Fets and Gnd jumper installed on Proffie:

Getting close to fully installed:

Done!!!!!!

Demonstration Video:

Its been a long journey, she is almost done. I have some final tinkering and touch-ups to do, but I'm glad she is finally running! Nihilus II was a lot of fun, and another accomplishment on my journey of learning this stuff. Of course, programming the Proffie was a chore, and my config file is very complex to say the least. But the results are lots of fun. Thanks for checking it out!

Tom