Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nihilus II (MHS Nihilus-esque) Lightsaber

Looking forward to that! This build is coming along very nicely.

So, after I finished the Imperial Knight, its time to finish Nihilus II, so I can get on with the LS6, and perhaps a Proffie Beta in my original Graflex II. So, I have some time to get back to work. I did some drilling and tapping this weekend to secure the shrouds all over the hilt. I am going to be countersinking all the bolts, but I used 4-40 this time in handle, so they'll be more latent when I'm done. Additionally, this thing won't look proper until I weather it, and the recesses go black. I had to finish this work, so I can get to working on the chassis, which will be a TCSS disk chassis. TeensySaber and neopixels going in here, blue tooth, maybe OLED Display, and a crystal chamber. So, I have a lot of design work to do after the outside it done. I have to countersink all the screws, then cut screws to length so they don't stick into hilt, so that chassis clears. This chassis will be fixed via disk 5 behind a double male. Switch 17s and brass caps going in angled piece near emitter. I made the switch caps tonight. So, I have to drill my RC Port and switch holes tomorrow. I'm putting an external RC Port on the underside top on this one to give me more room to work with in the chassis for bonus features.

The only thing I'm going to eventually debate is a damage hole to expose the crystal chamber. That allows more sound out, allows blue tooth signal out, plus you get to see the crystal. I haven't made up my mind yet on that. I still have a lot of smoothing and weathering to do. The recesses between the angled shrouds in the handle will weather to almost black. I'm not shattering this one, I may scratch it a bit, but no shattering. Hopefully she'll be right on the money in a few months.

Hopefully I can finish countersinking tomorrow, and make a run at switch holes and RC Port hole. The piece the switch holes are going into is a one off, so I'm going to measure a gazillion times before I drill. That piece has to be right.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Nice progress Tom! Absolutely love it! I got a question though. How will you be able to slide off part of the saber to reveal the crystal chamber, if you will have the recharge port secured to the outside?

Looking good brother, cant wait to see it finished.
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Skywalker View Post
    Nice progress Tom! Absolutely love it! I got a question though. How will you be able to slide off part of the saber to reveal the crystal chamber, if you will have the recharge port secured to the outside?
    because the RC Port and Switches will be above the fixed chassis. RC Port, Switches, Neopixel Adapter, and maybe some other stuff will all be p there. So on this hilt I have blade holder, 2" ext., double male, standard hilt. There is a double male that thread into the 2" ext. and secures Disk 5, which holds my chassis in. Then the normal hilt threads onto that double male.

Hey Tom, I got a question about your hilt setup. Are you using the same double male from Nihilus 1? (I think that's the Gender Changer, yeah?) Does that make a potential weak point in the hilt?

I understand any joint become a weak spot, but heaven forbid the saber gets dropped, would the double male adapter (the one with .25" of regular hilt http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Do...le-1-P127.aspx ) be less likely to fail than the gender changer?
    Last edited by Vereous; 07-22-2018 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Wording
    Player: I feel your anger, master.
    Darth Baras: A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vereous View Post
    Hey Tom, I got a question about your hilt setup. Are you using the same double male from Nihilus 1? (I think that's the Gender Changer, yeah?) Does that make a potential weak point in the hilt?

I understand any joint become a weak spot, but heaven forbid the saber gets dropped, would the double male adapter (the one with .25" of regular hilt http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Do...le-1-P127.aspx ) be less likely to fail than the gender changer?
    Same double male. I need to make a video tonight to show the top coming apart for Seth, and also how I just solved the RC Port to make it "subdued" up top. I countersunk the plastic 2.1 mm rc port in the 2" double female, dremeled its surface level with the hilt so the upper shrouds slide over it, then just popped a big enough hole in the outer shroud for the charger plug to go into, so its very subdued, and subsurface. I'm very happy with it.

I don't think that double male creates a weak point. Its already taken a bad fall (added some pre-weathering), and didn't suffer any ill-effects. Madcow uses the double males. With both ends of the gender changer threaded into female hilt parts (2" double female up top, and standard hilt on the bottom), its very strong! If that is not enough, my shroud material actually covers that joint to hide it (between the main hilt and 2" double female), so that adds some exterior cantilever strengthening in the area. I'll try and video the joint tonight so you can see what I'm talking about. I think its plenty strong.

Tom

Video explanation of chassis/double male (gender changer) and switch/rc port solution in saber head.

Tom

VERY preliminary weathering:

Still much to do, more layers, more polishing, this is a long process until it looks right. Once it looks right, I'll dishwasher it to set it, and then we'll be bout ready to begin the install!

Tom

I dig the video explanation! I'm a tactile learner, so sometimes reading it just doesn't cut it for me.

And I love the weathering. I assume Birchwood Casey, since youre setting it in the dishwasher?
    Player: I feel your anger, master.
    Darth Baras: A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!!