Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nihilus II (MHS Nihilus-esque) Lightsaber

Shaping has begun. I'm sticking with the pipe. I have just begun blending it in, and feathering it out, and I like the look. Its sleek. Once I feather out the top shroud, up high, it will definitely fit.
    Here is the beginning of the shaping process, once its shaped, then I'll polish it smooth. Lots of filing, lots of dremel. A laithe could not do this work. I think the hand filed rounded appearance, in the end will be very reminiscent of Nihilus' hilt. I think hand-made imperfections are a bit more realistic than CNC milled sabers. I think that is why I like MHS so much, its flexible beyond just the various different pieces.

Also, doing some brainstorming on the chassis. Its going to be difficult around the battery, because I also have to fit on a protection PCB in the area (nowhere else to put it). Ahhh, the joys of using extraordinary batteries, everything has to be custom fit. 18650 just doesn't have enough run time on the pixels. I think I have it figured out, although some may not like my solution. I think its viable. we'll see.

I do all my metal work, and mocking up out in the garage. Fine detail work in my office in the hacienda. Heat in winter, AC in summer. Summers are brutal here in NC, but we have had a gorgeous spring! I got a lot done today! Figure this saber might be done some time in June.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Blog Entries

This is looking cool Tom!
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    This is looking cool Tom!
    Thanks DC. I wish I had a lathe for some of the work I do. But, hand filing and rounding this aluminum is looking unique. This saber will not get the shattered weathering like the last one, but it will get some weathering when I'm done. I'm gonna Casey's this thing as well. I'm going to try etching after I finish this one. If I can learn to etch successfully, then I have some ideas. You all inspire me, but I am still lacking a lot of key toys, I mean tools, and some experience. Each saber is another learning process. This one is no different. I hope this one is a gazillion times louder, better, and tougher than Nihilus I. I'd love to have that saber back, even with its imperfections.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    Shaping has begun.

Oh yea, thats the look.

Another brainstorm tonight, took that top trim piece, which is basically going to be my switch box and mitered it. Haven't shaped it a whole lot yet, but here it is preliminarily:

I still have tons of material to shave off both pieces, but this seems to flow better in my mind's eye.

Tom

Dude, thats flipping perfect...

Love that top piece. Looks rough cut and gorgeous. Don't touch it!

Love it! Looks just like a Sith saber would. Really cool shroud work!

I still have a lot of labor and shaping to do on the thick shrouds to thin them out a bit more and shape them. I would like them to have a round appearance and blend them into the under shroud so that they are less obvious, but still have a layered appearance. Work has gotten in the way during the last 2 weeks. I have been assembling on various of the chassis components and crystal chamber work. I have my fins cut out, and I was thinking of etching both sides of each fin with some aerobesh (SP). Then polishing them to a shine. I also made my DC conduit for my wires. I have lots of greebles to add into the chamber to make it a bit more complex than my last Nihilus. I am severely lacking in some metal machining tools that I need to do some of what I'd like to do, but I think I can make it look at least decent.

I also have another project I'm constructing (a kylo sound rig) that is getting in the way of sabers. That's almost all done, so I can get back to Nihilus II. To the soldering station!

Tom

I haven't forgotten about this saber. I've had other projects sidetracking me. Mainly constructing a gazillion MiCom sound boards for 501st. That has been a pain, I'm a factory. I have a couple other builds going on, so this one is on pause for a bit. To be resumed as soon as I can!

Tom