Thread: Retrofitting an existing saber with all new guts

Default Retrofitting an existing saber with all new guts

Hello!

I recently acquired a nice hilt for my Nihilus costume. On my first troop this past weekend though, we had a Rebel Legion Jedi tag along with us, and his off the shelf Ultrasaber blew mine out of the water in terms of brightness and sound. I want to convert to a tri-LED set up if possible, move to a 4x AAA battery pack instead of the 2x that the saber has, and add sound as well.

Most of these tutorials are based on MHS stuff or require the use of a blade holder. Am I overthinking everything? Shouldn't I just be able to get the tri-LED that I want, solder the switch to that, then solder the leads to the battery pack? I'm more concerned with getting it to light up for right now, and I can go back and add sound later when I get more confidence with this.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Kind of. The sound boards do a tad more than deliver sound. I think you'd be better off financially/run-time wise upgrading to a 18650 lithium ion battery. Furthermore, on a stunt saber, I believe a buck puck would help even out the draw of your LED's and maximize brightness and run time.

Buck Puck here: BuckPuck Link

Looks like if you're trying to run a tri-cree you would need 3 of these, one for each diode. At that rate, you'd be better off adding sound now with NBIV.

First thing you need to do is measure the ID of your hilt. See if the MHS V6 holder will work. Then get the V6 holder, battery sled, NBIV Sounboard, your LED Star, momentary switch, speaker and a few batteries. The sound board can regulate your power to the LED. If you have the Holocron Nihilus, I'm pretty sure Shameem fit a MHS V6 in there.

Go for the gusto!

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Tilmon; 04-17-2018 at 03:24 PM.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

If you use a sound card, you DO NOT NEED buckpucks. A lot of the conversion depends on who made your Nihilus saber, and it’s dimensions.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I implied that it would be cheaper to do a sound board vs. 3 buck pucks. I wasn't clear enough. Soundboard is almost cheaper than stunt done right. Go with the soundboard!

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    I implied that it would be cheaper to do a sound board vs. 3 buck pucks. I wasn't clear enough. Soundboard is almost cheaper than stunt done right. Go with the soundboard!
    Yea, i got your point on that lol.