Thread: Wiring Technique Question...

Default Wiring Technique Question...

I have been wiring instruments for years (it was what gave me the confidence to start wiring my own sabers).
    The biggest transition hurdle was the scale (Instruments Pots & Jacks are very large in comparison to saber connections and your usually using 22-18 AWG.)

After looking at many many saber installs I notice most of the time people lay their wires across the connection instead of putting it through the hole.
    Is there a reason for this?

I have a build coming up where the wires are coming up through the chassis and below the board. I'm thinking the best solution would have them poke through the connection hole from below and solder it down but I'm hesitant as I rarely see installs like this.

Thanks for anyone with expertise willing to share. I find there are often good reason for or against things that I am unware of.

Without trying to intentionally hurt any ones feelings... i think its laziness or lack of ability. The rule of thumb is, when you have a double sided PCB, you must make sure both sides are soldered with the same wire. I do all of my soldering using the through hole. I think on the Plecter boards, its less of an issue, but if you get into the habit of changing your technique for each job, youll grow complacent.

It is laid on top (or bottom), generally oriented in the direction the wires are meant to go. Through hole wiring is generally discouraged, as the wires may break, or cause other issues if the leads are too long. Also, since this is the way Erv' (who head Pleacter Labs) teached it, and it isn't difficult to do, it's just done. and not all holes/pads were solder thourgh holes, once upon a time.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I know how to solder through hole, and attach header pins. I solder wires on top of the PCB, so I can easily remove and replace them without having to put too much heat on the board for too long. I don't do that out of laziness, I do it for the safety of the board. I do a lot of mock-ups and pre-tests on the board too before its actually installed. The holes are usually full of solder. Now, you can get wires down through the holes again, but then you're putting a lot of heat on the board multiple times to accomplish that, and then there are risks involved.

That is why I solder on top of the PCBs. That and that was the advice of Madcow and FJK when I began not so very long ago in a galaxy not so far, far away.

TOm

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."