Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where to store blades

Default Where to store blades

Since we're all toiling away at our sabers & DragonCon is nearly upon us I had a perplexing question....where do most people store their blades during conventions. Do most people just walk around with them in the sabers or are they hidden away inside the robes?

Hmmm a good question, indeed! At the cons I've been to in the past, I've usually kept the blade out for the complete Jedi/Sith effect, and to be quicker to deflect blaster bolts from the occasionally accurate Stormtrooper. But I also wonder if there are better ways for stowing them away when not needed...and freeing up you hands for a camera. Some kind of inner sleeve sewn in the robes, perhaps?

It's basically the only reason for me to have a robe. I generally prefer to go robeless but yeah, a pocket/sleeve in the inner robe or cape is a nice solution. Otherwise, I'd just walk with it in the hilt.

Could you not strap it to your back then draw it over your shoulder like a sword?

I put my blade in a sleeve that is sewn in the seam of my outer robes.

Wise words do not distinguish a Consular, but the choices they make.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

I've though of this and I like the robe-sleeve idea.
    One addition I'd like to suggest, is a cap to put over the open end of the blade. I think it would be a real pain to try to get dust out of that long tube especially with all that static charged film in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevinzol View Post
    One addition I'd like to suggest, is a cap to put over the open end of the blade. I think it would be a real pain to try to get dust out of that long tube especially with all that static charged film in it.
    Using dust caps on your blades is a good idea whether you're carrying them around or just storing them at home. I use them and I'm kinda surprised that TCSS doesn't sell them, now that I think about it.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Dust caps can be found at any good hardware store, usually in packs of 4...they're also called "chair leg tips":

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    I put my blade in a sleeve that is sewn in the seam of my outer robes.
    Good to know it works in practice!

Quote Originally Posted by Sevinzol View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
    Using dust caps on your blades is a good idea whether you're carrying them around or just storing them at home. I use them and I'm kinda surprised that TCSS doesn't sell them, now that I think about it.
    Hmm, good point. Perhaps 1" ID PVC end caps, or similar?

::EDIT:: Nice, Jay-gon, those are perfect.
    Last edited by Robust Stardust; 07-23-2015 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJCOOLX View Post
    Since we're all toiling away at our sabers & DragonCon is nearly upon us I had a perplexing question....where do most people store their blades during conventions. Do most people just walk around with them in the sabers or are they hidden away inside the robes?
    Personally I've found these to work really well.

http://www.draftingsteals.com/30204.html