Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Neopixel Graflex 2.5

Default Neopixel Graflex 2.5

This build will be a TFA Graflex 2.5 Neopixel Saber run by Teensy V3. This saber will be configured to be TFA with shine-through glass eye, and neopixel Arkm Graflex Razor Blade Plug. Red button activation with slide switch (switch 22) aux.

TCSS Shopping List:
    Graflex 2.5
    1" Hilt Neopixel Module
    1" Blade Holder
    Switch 22 and the Slide Switch Bezel
    1" Blade w/ strip diffuser and bullet tip
    Switch 16
    Switchcraft Recharge Port
    Veco Bass Speaker
    Neopixel 1" blade adapters (one for blade, one for blade plug)
    TCSS Neopixel Connectors (1 hilt, 2 blades (one for plug, one for blade)
    Short Graflex Pins

Elsewhere:
    Neopixel strips (I used 5050 on this build)
    MR Foam Tubes (gained from doing conversions )
    Goth3D Master Chassis for Graflex 2.0 from Darth Ryo
    Quartz Crystal Point
    Skinny strips used for accents, blade plug guts, and chamber illumination
    21700 Samsung 3.7 volt battery (I added a protection PCB rated to 15A)
    Darkside Engineering (Arkm) Razor Blade 1" plug (stainless and heat treated)
    Slothfurnace clamp card TFA
    KR Pommel Coin
    Rivets
    4-40 slotted screws
    8-32 set screws (one for chassis, one for neopixel module)
    Glass Eye Replica threaded for 2.0 (allows for real shine-through
    Teensyaber V3
    Teensy 3.2
    TGS Red Button (functioning)
    KR Brass Tabs

I have been collecting components for this saber, and dreaming about it for some time. My next build will be TGS Replica with CF and will be in ANH configuration with standard in-hilt LED's Then my collection will be complete. I have a ESB G2 with NBIV, this saber, which is TFA/TLJ Neopixels Teensy, and my next will be ANH with CF. Then I need a 3 tiered stand for this collection. This is a personal build that I have dreamed about for a long time, and I have been collecting the components for awhile. I finally got a chance to begin building it!

I have worked out most of the Gremlins in the re-engineering, and I have begun assembly. Tonight, I tested the accent strips in the rear of the chassis, which are neopixels spooling up in colorcycle. That works, so now I'm installing the RC Port. I may wire the switches, but then I'm done for the night. Maybe I'll finish by this weekend. I'm taking my time here.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Tilmon; 04-10-2018 at 09:07 PM.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Had a rough night, the battery I'm using is cramped quarters for wire routing. I was having issues with the battery, and once I got everything assembled, I had to disassemble and fix the issues, and during the disassembly, because the switch wires are so tight, I ruined a switch 22. This certainly isn't an ideal battery to use, but I believe I have finally figured it out. The hours it takes to get stuff like this going, people have no idea. This saber is definitey a difficult one. Photos from the last assembly, after testing the leads, switch wires, and TCSS Converter feeds. I have juice from the battery, continuity on switch contact, and continuity from TCSS Neopixel pins to the supply wires at the rear. I am finally ready to start tying in this mess o' wires, and hide them, and button this baby up. I have work the next 10 days, so my time to build this one is limited.

Off to bed. Lots of work left to do. I already built the neopixel blade for it!

Tom

It is alive! I have the fine touches, and closure to do. I also haven't assembled the bottom end yet, which is a lot of work left to do, but the install is done and working. Its crazy, I can't wait to show it off. Its better than I dreamt of when I began ordering all the components a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away!

Tom

Looking forward to seeing this build come together. I will soon be working on my first Graflex and am considering a Neopixel system.
    "This is where the fun begins"

Don't put those ugly T-grips on the lower half or you will ruin it! Leave it sleek. Can't wait to see it lit up. That metal chassis looks really nice, particularly that metal bit cradling the crystal. That part of the kit, too?

Yes, Goth3D printed in metal. Crystal holder in Rodium. It was expensive, but this is a shelf saber. Grips are going on, as this one is fairly accurate to TFA/TLJ on the outside, but mostly the chassis will be on display. It came out beautiful. I'm contemplating making a few DC Conduits to add in there in some dead space, that might add to it. I'm going to make a few and have a look see. Its pretty awesome. I got my adapter low enough in the hilt to get shine through on the replica glass eye. This saber has a 1" adapter, and the beer tab screw hole was all amok, and I didn't notice until the saber was installed. So, being that far along, I just glued in the beer tab screw. It works. That was the only defect in the saber components.

I also adapted a 4800 mAh Samsung 21700 in this saber, so it should have quite a bit of run time. This morning, I built the neopixel blade plug, whose base was an Arkm/Darkside Engineering Graflex Razor Blade Plug. It has 15 pixels in the blade plug, and a TCSS adapter. It all works great. I'll post a video of it within the week, but I don't want to shoot a video before I'm done with the saber. Today, I'm doing font/bladestyles for it. Its definitely a cool display saber.

Tom

Darth Chasm Conduit:

Arkm/DSE Graflex Razor Blade Plug

Shine-Through with neopixels achieved!

Chassis aft end mods for Teensysaber V3.

Neopixel strips as accents during testing prior to install:

This photo shows how grainy the metal looks when you get it, the piece below it has been ground/polished. There was a lot of work that went into each chassis piece.

Finished Saber:

Video of her in action:

I have a shorter video rendering, this one shows everything on the saber, and is long-winded, but I was pretty proud of this build. This is my shelf saber.

Thank you for checking it out. MHS Nihilus II TeensySaber Neopixel is next!

Tom

BTW, there are 2 experimental smooth swing fonts on here. Both by KSith: Krossguard experimental and Jedi experimental

So, you can see smoothswing v2 in action here a bit.

Shorter video:

Tom, your use of the TRON blade as a chamber powerup is inspired! I'm going to totally steal that for my LS6 build, just as soon as I can get started!